Building a 1970 fastback mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Building a 1970 fastback mustang?

Hi, This winter I would like to restore a 1970 fastback mustang. My grandfather bought all the parts, the body, tires, everything, but then he got sick with Gillian-Berre Syndrome and passed away before he was able to begin working on it. I would like to do this as a tribute to him, and also because I know he would be proud of me if I finished it for him.

The trouble is, I have never built a car before. I have helped repair a car, but never built one from scratch, but I think that since it's a 1970, and therefore non-computerized, I would have an easier time trying to figure it out.

If you've ever built one of these before, was it difficult? And seeing as I'm not too knowledgeable in the car repair department, what manual would you suggest to be the easiest to understand? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Arend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If you go to http://www.texasmustang.com or http://www.vamustang.com you'll find copies of the original Ford shop manuals for the various years of the old Mustangs at a reasonable price. They also have wiring diagrams, body and engine books and some real good restoration books. In addition I'd suggest trying to locate a Mustang Owners club in your area. The members are generally glad to lend a hand, advice or expertise. The old ones are easier to work on and you can get a lot of satisfaction from restoring one.
Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Since you lack the experience, I wouldn't recommend a complete restoration, just do the mechanical, body, paint,interior, and new chrome. You can take night classes to learn some of the skills necessary. This is a unibody car, thus doesn't have a frame you can remove.

Here is a group that can help with advice.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/classicmustang/
franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You can by a repair manual from advance or auto zone about $10
it tells you step by step with some pictures that may help.
Don't be afraid to ask for guidance and if you have the tools
to do the work you can do it.Put in the T.L.C he will be proud
and so will you.
iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

video tape your self taking the parts off. if you get stuck rewind the tape. lol bag and tag the items as they come off the car.
adom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Mustanger provided some really good feedback and I will try to add to that.

If this is your first auto restoration then be prepared. The older non-computerized cars are much easier to rebuild as to the engine and wiring. Also, there are lots of either used parts from salvage yards or eBay, or new reproductions parts for 1970 Mustangs.

There are some good general Mustang restoration books available over Amazon Marketplace for used books or try the link below which will search for the best prices for both new & used books. These books are easy to read. However, most of those books do not provide the detailed explanations such as wiring diagrams.

Make yourself a restoration plan on paper as to where to start and where to end, the cost of each stage, and your budget. Determine what you are personally capable of doing and what is best to farm out to a Professional such as engine work, painting, etc. Determine if this will be a "frame-off" restoration where the body is placed on a rotisserie so that the underside can be restored as well as the body itself, or if this will be the much less costly (and more typical) "frame-on" restoration. Since this is your first restoration, you will probably not want a "frame-off" unless you plan to keep the car forever and thus can justify the added costs.

I've restored several older cars myself but not Mustangs. However, I specialize in restoration of gauge clusters and clocks for all types of vehicles made during the 1950's to early 1980's. Therefore, if you need some help with the gauges or clock, give me a shout.
cranley is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion