Opinions on this 73 mustang mach 1? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Opinions on this 73 mustang mach 1?

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/cto/1059261594.html

im 18 this will be a first car for me..i have the money to give him cash and buy a used tranny or engine if needed, and going to go check it out with a mechanic....other then that are these good cars? gas isnt much of a problem for me since i will get a job and will pay all that no problem...but are these type of muscle cars easy to get parts for and are the parts somewhat cheap compared to a newer car?....i have a guy right across the street that can put the parts in for little or no money so installation is not a problem...just need some opinions

btw i plan to get a new paint job for it, probably black

i would REALLY like a muscle car for a first because i LOVE muscle cars lol dont really want a pos honda hatchback
fane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

great car didnt see a price but a word of warning check very carefully for rust around leaf spring mounts and rear frame rails also floor pans and shock towers torque boxes androcker panels these are expensive and required fixes if you really want it be prepared to spend money on rust repair 64-70 are easier to get parts for but 71-73 can be a little tricky still better and cheaper to fix than a ricer heres a linkhttp://www.google.com/search?sourcei...+mustang+parts to find parts if you want to keep the value original is the way to go also if the top is bubbled you will have extensive roof repair
hope this helps
wylingford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

GET IT!!!! I would say paint it orange with a flat black hood and other body parts with a black billet grill! Tons of performance parts out there and if there to much new just get used ones... I would say shop around alot look them up at google and stuff I have an 05 mustang spend most my day just looking at it or for stuff for it.. This car will become a labor of love for you friend! Oh a be sure to get a HOT Cam that will getcha the BABES!!
iseabail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

it's a great car and will be lots of fun
booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Cut off the legs to pay for insurance?
Finian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, first, check the cowl for leaks. You can do this very easily by pouring water into the screens at the base of the windshield-they are large on these cars, you will see them. I see some rust on the very top of the firewall/cowl area, as well as some on the driver's side shock tower. Crawl under this car and check the underside very carefully. If it has undercoating (especially fresh) and you can't see the pans or rails, run. FAST. Body work and panel replacement gets expensive with a quickness and the big body mustangs (71-73) aren't as popular as the earlier years so there are less replacement pieces available. If you know it needs specific parts, try Ohio Mustang supply-he started out specializing in the 71-73's and has been the best source I've found for them. Also, sit in it and make sure you'd like driving it. That's not a rear window, it's a skylight!

They do look good in black. I saw one in a semi-gloss hot rod black and it looked SWEET.
albion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, get that baby! It's a good deal despite the rear surface rust because that's a rare car. The first thing I would do is fix the rust and get it repainted. They might be able to sand most of that off during the paint preparation. Why would you need a new engine and trans? The ad doesn't state any problems regarding the engine or transmission, and the 351 Cleveland/C4 auto is a good combo.

Parts for the engine and trans will be really easy to find because the 351 Cleveland was used in lots of vehicles along with the C4 trans. Other parts should be hard to find either. The good thing about 70s cars is that you can do most the work yourself and save $, plus learn at the same time! I'm 19 and my daily driver is a 1978 El Camino 350. I do most the work on it myself since everything is so easy to get to. It'll be fun to walk into a auto parts store and say "71 Mustang" when the guy asks you what kind of vehicle it's for!

Bye the way, I like the custom mag wheels on that Mustang. You'll have lots of fun with that car! The 351 won't suck a ton of gas because it has a 2-barrel carburetor. It might have an aftermarket dual exhaust system on it, because I'm not sure if they cam standard with dual exhaust on the 2-barrel engines.
auley is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion