How many miles will an average 1989 for mustang engine last for? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

How many miles will an average 1989 for mustang engine last for?

Im planning on buying a 1989 ford mustang gt but it already has 155,000 miles on it and im wondering if it is worth buying or not. everything is in pretty good shape, the car runs well, it has a clean title and is for sale for 2300 dollars. so im wondering if it is a good deal and for how much longer would the car last?
ioan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I'm assuming for that price, it's a 5.0, and yes, there were only two engines available in that year, the 2.3 and the 5.0. The 326 is a 60's vintage Pontiac, and the 351 hasn't been available in the Mustang since 1973 (except the 1995 Cobra R).

Now, on to the '89. It all depends on how much it has been taken care of. The problem with these cars is that ALOT of them have had the $*%& run out of them. Adding to that, they are cheap enough these days that younger buyers are more and more easily able to buy them. If you know the history, or can tell it's been maintained, I'd say buy it. If it's been maintained, it'll last forever. I have a '92 that has 168K and it still runs like new. That's not to say that you won't have to work on it a little, but the engine will last forever if taken care of. I have read stories in the Mustang magazines about readers getting 550K+ out of them. Although I'll admit this is extremely rare, 250K is not and they are cheap to rebuild when that time comes. Trust me, clean fox body 'Stangs are getting harder and harder to find. If it's a 2.3, I have a friend with a Ranger with 316K on it, and still going. I had an '86 with 180K., and it still ran good, but did make a little noise. However, I was pretty young, and probably was guilty for that, not the motor.
rashane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

those 302 (or 5.0) engines are very unpredictable as far as how long they will last. There are things a good mechanic will know to check to make sure it doesn't already have a problem so if you are concerned about that take it to knowledgeable mechanic and find out if its okay then make an offer on the car based on that. I have personally drove 302 for 155,000 miles and it was still running perfect but I have had several 302 that had problems early on so there is no way to know which one is the good ones so take it to a mechanic, good luck
aodha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It probably won't last much longer, US engines, especially for that era, which means it is probably a 302, 326, or 351. I would guess that maybe go for another 20k if lucky more. check to see what the oil looks like and smells like. if it's darke brown and smells really burnt, could be sooner.
christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

155,000 miles is just getting it broke in. Ive owned several including 2 now and ive driven all of them at least for 190,000 miles and then pulled the motors because i wanted to, not because it gave out. 2300 is a steal if its in good shape like you say. 302 motors are plentiful and fairly cheap and now there are enough aftermarket parts out for the 5.0L that you could build a whole new car with all aftermarket parts. I owned one that went almost 300,000 and all i replaced was the clutch (and basic tune up things of course such as plugs, wires, rotor and such. The forged internals in these motors will outlast the car if its taken care of. Why is everyone sayng "if its a v8" he said it was a mustang GT
Felten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It's a good deal if in great shape but it depends upon the care the owner put in the car..if you take care of a 302 (5.0) it will last 200k miles easy...

But as someone said, once a car gets past about 10 years or so, if you aren't sort of mechanically inclined, it can sometimes start costing quick... If you are in love with the car, go bring it to a mechanic for a good once over..making sure everything is good.

But I do disagree with SVO man... unless you had a kid who wanted a v-8 and tried to run the hell out of the 4 cyl, those 4cylinders were pretty durable with a few I've seen at 250k+ in rangers (and over 150k in mustangs)

But getting back to the GT.. get a once over if in love with the car, other than that...it might be a pass unless you have a little shade tree in you..
corren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It would depend what engine is in the car, like is it a 4 cyc, 6 cyc or even an 8 cyc, and is it the orginal engine? what repairs have been made to it, and even then there is no way to know for sure.
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The car may be running well now, but you can pretty much guarantee that a car that old with that many miles will need constant maintenance. If you are not mechanically inclined, or have a large pool of money to pay for repairs, I would shy away from this car. The car itself is not too bad of a deal, but the things I mentioned above will be the deciding factors. The car could have 155,000 really hard miles, or it could have been meticulously maintained. Have to talk to the owner to find out.
adom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ok for all the people who are skeptics out there, I am a mechanic who has worked on my frineds Tbird for years and it has 350k on it and still driveing, and a customer of mine has 450k on his aerostar with the original engine. Now there are plenty that wont make 150k because of poor maintance. I suggest that you look under the car for rust front, back, and side to side. Ck all fluids and ask if by chance he has a service records. Its a great car, I would probally see if he would take 2000 for it or a little less. I hope its a v8
panteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Dang dude, that cars going on 20 years old, they quit making a good mustang back in 1972, you will be putting a motor in it soon so decide if you want to spend the money now and later. Cars are lucky to get 180k on them even taking care of it, a good engine will put you out another 1800 dollars in the next two years or you could get junk rebuilt for about 1100. either way, if you got 2300 to spend go for a newer model of something.
meinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

It all depends on the care and service it got and usually the V8's last a little longer because they don't have to work so hard.

The 2.3 L less 175k unless it's the SVO turbo motor, they last forever! It's the difference between Assembly line engines and hand assembled engines with hardened parts

5.0 L over 175k

added: we are talking Mustangs here not trucks, the Ranger had a tougher engine than the cars. I've seen the Mustang fours go bad at less than 50k
My personal experience
westbroc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

first off... to all that answered and knew nothing about mustangs... you didn't help the situation... "a 326"??? it doesn't exist... and the only way there would be a "351" in there is if he put it in there... same goes for a V6... there were 2 engine choices in that year... a 4 cyl, and a 5.0 V8... if you take care of the car... it's not a matter of how many miles is on it. there is no general rule... ever. I've known people to get 200,000 miles out of their 5.0s... with superchargers on them. So, if there aren't any problems yet... keep it thet way. Take care of it... you didn't say if it was a V8 or a 4 cyl.. so... if it's a 4cyl... you're outta luck... those motors are prone to... well... sucking...
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion