Transporting my Mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
tod
Registered Member
Regular

Transporting my Mustang?

My wife and i are thinking of moving back east, and lookin to save some money. I have a 06' Mustang GT and was planning on towing it behind the moving truck. The car dolly which just holds front 2 wheels on the dolly while the car is in 'N' pulling it, and they other is the flatbed where the whole car is off the street being towed up on the flatbed hauler. The 2-wheel dolly is $200 and the flatbed is almost $500 to rent. If i tow it on the dolly would that mess up my car since its rear wheel drive, or will it not matter since its in neutral. The trip is about 2000 miles...When we moved out west we paid to have our cars shipped @ roughly $825 each, but i have since been unemployed and were on 1 income so thats not an option.
tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Transporting my Mustang?

Don't tow with drive wheels on the ground, unless you unhook the drive shaft. Why can't you put the rear wheels on the dolly ?? Then the only thing you'll need to check is how close the nose of the car is to the road.

If there's a chance the nose will drag, the flatbed is the choice.
nayati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Transporting my Mustang?

well if you did use the dolly make sure to remove the driveshaft if its an automatic, if its a manual you wouldn't have to

if its an auto the reason you remove the driveshaft is because the parts would be moving without any fluid being pumped around from the torque converter, so it could wear the transmission out, so if its an auto just remove the driveshaft

but me personally i'd use the flatbed trailer, just seems safer that way and more secure, ya its $300 more but rather be safe than sorry, now if your tight on money then thats fine and get the dolly, just my personal opinion would be to get the flatbed

- the other person said you could put the rear wheels on the dolly, technically you could BUT i know how low mustangs are and well lets just say after a 2000 mile trip you'll probably end up losing the front bumper "cover" along the way so i defiantly wouldn't recommend that
franco is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion