I have a 96 Mustang and my check engine light keeps coming on.? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2010, 06:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 96 Mustang and my check engine light keeps coming on.?

I have done a code search on my Mustang and it shows the same code each time. It codes 1443 which is the Idle air control valve. I have changed it 4 times, and it hasn't helped. I clear the codes and any where from immediately to 40 miles later it comes back on. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this. I just have a hard time believing that I have installed that many defective parts. I am hoping that someone out there has had the same problem or knows of someone who has.
walthari81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

P1443 is a manufacturer specific code (as opposed to the SAE generic) OBD II code, and identifies an EVAP system failure, and has nothing to do with the Idle Air Control.
You should know, that the codes displayed identify a SYSTEM or CIRCUIT in which the PCM has located a failure, and does NOT NECESSARILY indicate a failed component.
This code is MOST LIKELY a failure with the EVAP purge solenoid, a loose or broken vacuum hose in the EVAP system, or perhaps a defective fuel cap.
The computer is designed to run emissions tests on the car regularly, and one of the tests it runs is the EVAP monitor. It is trying to test the integrity and the ability of the fuel and Evaporate Control System to keep fuel vapors in the car, and not escaping into the atmosphere.
Stop throwing MONEY at the car.
I recommend one of two things…
1) Go the library, or purchase a QUALITY repair manual and follow the diagnostic trouble tree to locate the fault, and repair as necessary according to the results of the testing.
or…
2) Take your car to a REPUTABLE emissions test and repair shop, or the dealer for proper diagnostics, an estimate of repair cost, and subsequent repair.
espowyes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Check the timing belt due it perhaps needs to change.
korey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I know this may sound dumb, but I was told by a Ford mechanic that if you fuel up a Ford with the motor running, some sensor would make the check engine light come on after a while. Also, if the gas cap isn't tight, the light will come on. And one more thing, because you fuel up with the motor running, it causes some type of pressure build up at the carburetor like its trying to flood and this causes a sensor to give some type of false reading...which in turn turns on the check engine light. I know i'm being vague, but I am not a mechanic and received this info from a Ford mechanic.
dario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

check you oil to see if it is burnt or your injectors.
drogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

i own a repair shop,and see if the gas cap is defective on it,if it doesn't give off a lot of pressure when you take it off its bad,it should build up pressure in a certain amount of time,if it doesn't this will set the code on it,from the purge valve,because it doesn't receive any pressure to cause it not to trip,these sensors trip if they don't receive pressure,not if they do,check the cap ,i have experienced some weird things from some of the fords before and this is one of them its worth a try,good luck hope this helps.
pryderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

"I have changed it 4 times, and it hasn't helped."

That is why you need to have a repair shop diagnose the car. Free code readings at AZ don't pinpoint the problem. Anyway isn't P1443 an evaporative emissions leak? Are you sure your gas cap is sealed properly?
fane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe it could be that that code has nothing to do with the idle air control (IAC) ? P-1443 is for the purge control solenoid! See link for code descriptions.

http://www.alldatapro.com/alldata/PR...57663/80119320
eder is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
check engine