1994 mustang gt spark problem? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1994 mustang gt spark problem?

ok guys so here it goes lol,,i have the 1994 gt with the 5.0 engine. i have been working on this spark problem for some time now.when i go to start it ( cold or hot ) i have to hold a wire on my battery posative to my coil posative and it starts right up,but while driving it the spark quits then comes back( like a really bad miss ) until it just completly loses spark and dies but i put that wire back on from battery to coil and it fires right back up again.i went through and replaced EVERYTHING lol. brand new ignition switch,brand new ignition module, brand new coil,brand new distributor and hall effect,brand new starter and battery and battery cables. i completly broke my car down and went through all the wiring and fixed bad ones and cleaned and replaced all of my grounds and after all of this it still does the same thing. i even went back through and swapped all those new parts twice as defective just incase. the only things i havent done anything to are the computer ( which does have a performance chip ) and my transmission range sensor.im completly at a loss here and out of ideas. someone PLEASE lend a guy some help with this??
agni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Bummer!

It does sound like the only thing left to try is the costly PCM. Since you replaced everything else- the Ignition control module and everything back to the battery- OH, have you tried the crank position sensor? I would try that- if nothing- then go for the gold- and I mean you better have the gold! haha- you must though if you replaced everything else!!

Good luck! Let us know what happens!
howahkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

mmm the wire you have from your coil to the battery is the basic hot wire that is how we use to steal cars when we were kids coil to battery bump the starter and we were gone that part you describe is not stock as im sure that you know. i would look at the add on stuff first take it off and see what hhappens ignition comes to mind but ou say you have replaced it have you looked at you wires from the ignition to the coil? nothing suspect?/
stanhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It sounds to me like a short or voltage drop somewhere in the wiring or connections.

Do tests for voltage drop on your wires and also the connections. Test between the battery terminal and the wire going to the battery, for example. That should help you pinpoint a faulty connection.

Google for "how to test for voltage drop" and it should give you an idea of how to go about it. I have not read this article myself, but I love the articles on their site... this should help you... http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm

There's also a really good book called "How to diagnose and repair automotive electrical systems" which I highly recommend.
colton is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
1994 mustang