I got a 02 mustang gt (auto). What brand an what size throttle body do I need to get? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I got a 02 mustang gt (auto). What brand an what size throttle body do I need to get?

An what are some other parts I can get for some extra horsepower?
tung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 02:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I got a 02 mustang gt (auto). What brand an what size throttle body do I need to get?

a throttle body on its own will not do much....
you can add about 15% plus increase in hp over stock with the following combination:
-cold air intake AND 73mm throttle body
-performance exhaust, catbacks / x-pipe
-re tune of engine management system with tuner (diablo predator or equivalent)

you can search out these parts and details at
http://www.americanmuscle.com/?utm_s...D=140393132522
(lots of other suppliers, lethal performance, summitt racing, more)

together these will provide a noticeable gain in your GT, individually not much.

additionally i suggest you swap in 3.73 gears in the rear end, will make you much quicker from the get go.

this is about the limit of "standard modificatiions" - beyond that for serious power your options are forced induction (supercharger or turbocharger), or installation of a nitrous kit.

cheers04 cobra
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...jpg?081519-289
nels91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:22 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I believe they come with a 65mm or 70mm......i think its a 65mm.
Goto an autoparts website and look up Throttle Body for your mustang.....it will say the mm size.

BTW, DONT even bother upgrading to a bigger throttle body, this has been PROVEN a complete waste of money!

(think about it for a second...why get a bigger throttle body? That DOESNT change the size or flow patterns of the Intake Manifold, so it's kind of like increasing a pipe diameter, then squeezing it back down again, its truely pointless!

Goto ANY mustang message boards, they will confirm.

If you want to benefit from a larger Throttle Body, you MUST atleast Port your Intake Manifolds and Cylinder Heads first!
(which is alot of money....or alot of work if doing it yourself.)
derrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 03:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I would go with a 70mm BBK Throttle Body....some other good parts you can get to improve performance would include Cold Air Intake (good brands:JLT, BBK, Steeda), Underdrive pullies (good brands BBK, Steeda), Exhaust (brands way too many good ones)....check out www.mustangunlimited.com and www.summitracing.com for the best pricing on these items...GL!
teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:59 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Mike is right.A Throttle body on a pretty much stock car is basically useless unless you are putting down some serious power n/a or you have forced induction you really wont benefit from a throttle body.
wulffrith is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion