How much to get a paintjob for my Mustang? And, should I even bother? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

How much to get a paintjob for my Mustang? And, should I even bother?

I have a 1994 Mustang coupe which is about to be salvaged and repaired (front end damage) and I'm trying to figure out if it's really worth it, and exactly how much it will cost. Here's the situation: I accidentally rear ended another vehicle on my way back to town, and both of my airbags deployed. Both of my headlights were broken, I broke my hood and also need a new fender, as it has been scratched pretty badly and also pushed back a little bit, to the point that I could not open the driver's side door without bending the side of the car. Ultimately, the car took a beating and in the process was totaled by my insurance company.

I'm interested in bringing the car back to life, as most of this stuff isn't actually that difficult to repair. A trip to the junk yard could solve most of these problems. I am currently working with a dealer that's going to replace all of those parts from other Mustangs they have laying around, so the headlights, hood, fender and so forth are going to be an easy repair. Shouldn't be too expensive after the settlement, either. But here's the problem . . . Once I get all of these parts on the car, I'm going to need a paintjob. From what I've heard, a new paintjob can cost anywhere from $500 to possibly $3,000 or more, and that's really more than the car is worth. I like my Mustang, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to go through with all of this fuss, and I'm honestly thinking about giving up on salvaging the car and simply buying something else.

Any idea how much it might cost to repaint this car? Would it be possible to simply get the new parts painted without doing a full paintjob? If it helps, the car also has minor pitting along the rear of the vehicle which would probably require some body work and the side door was damaged in a previous accident and so that also needs to be sanded down and repainted completely. Again, I'm just trying to recover from this accident. So what do you guys think, should I salvage this car and repaint it, or should I accept that this is the end of its life for me?
ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 02:33 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

yes..a great paint job would cost you about 3000 $..and a not so great one would be 500..but a decent, good looking one would be about 800...all depends on the paint color, whether or not you want metallic paint, airbrushing, stripes etc.
Kristofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:22 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Mustangs are junk
donnachadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 03:59 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'd junk it. Costs are going to be more than the value of the car. Without doing a full paint job, lots of luck on the color matching.
You have a 14+ year old Mustang that's been in at least two accidents. IMO, I'd retire her.
dagoberto is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion