My 01 Mustang GT wont start part II? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

My 01 Mustang GT wont start part II?

Previous question: My 01 GT with only 8600 miles sat for over 4 years and it cranked but it would not start?

Thank you for all who answer that question...here are the results from that:

I put new fuel along with some injector and fuel line cleaner cranked it a few times and long and behold, it started...for about 2 minutes it stayed on and shut off...it did that 2 other times and finally on the 3rd time it refused to start again. I removed the fuel rails that feed fuel into the injectors, cranked it and no fuel. Worked my way back from filter to filter connection until finally reaching the gas line that feeds into the fuel filter from the gas tank, disconnected, cranked it again and no fuel came out. By the way on an 01 Mustang, FORD dosen't list on the fuse cover which fuse belongs to what...hopefully with the bail out money they can afford to print that on future models if they aren't already doing it...anyways after going through every single fuse inside the cabin and under the hood all were found to be good.

Have I over looked anything before I remove the gas tank to inspect the fuel pump. Is there anything I can do to trouble shoot the fuel pump? Can I attach some sort of "mobile gas tank/fuel pump" to the line I've disconnected to see if in fact MY fuel pump is bad. I hate to remove the tank and find out it was not the fuel pump but something else...

Thanks in advance.
ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

You can reset the fuel pump cutoff switch somewhere in the rear of the car. The manual will tell you where. That's also the best place to check with a voltmeter to see if you're getting juice to the pump.
daren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Charge your Battery, Try Jumping it!!!
adron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

There may be a fuel pump relay, look in the owners manuel.
culloden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

fuel pump.
imported_cleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Before you pull the tank,try something simple. Remove gas cap and have someone listen to the inside of tank. Turn key on for 5 seconds,then off. Repeat this about 10 times.
When key is turned on the computer should energize the fuel pump relay,causing pump to run for 2 seconds. Someone should hear it run.
This will prime pump and purge air without wearing on starter and battery.
keandre is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion