What should I ask for a 302 long block automatic 1966 Ford Mustang V8 coupe needing to be restored? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What should I ask for a 302 long block automatic 1966 Ford Mustang V8 coupe needing to be restored?

I'm looking at a 1966 Ford Mustang coupe. It is an automatic transmission, and should be a 302 long block V8 engine.

All parts should be original, but I am not positive.

I was originally told it was a 289, but now he says it has a 302 long block engine with about 175k miles on it.

It is a California car, so there shouldn't be any rust, although I have not inspected it. It apparently has not been run in about 20 years. I was told that an electrical problem prevented it from starting, and it's just been in storage since then.

The engine and transmission SHOULD be functional but I can't be sure that everything works properly. It will likely need a completely new interior, and windshields, the engine probably needs to be rebuilt, and everything drained, since it's full of 20 year old gas. The dash is supposedly shattered from a rock through the back windshield.

It does not have AC, and has been repainted a pale yellow color long ago, over the gray...

I know nothing about these cars.
donte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

What should I ask for a 302 long block automatic 1966 Ford Mustang V8 coupe needing to be restored?

[Revised]
Plus options would be V8, C code 200 hp, A code 225 hp, K code 271 hp HiPerformance motor, automatic transmission, 4 speed manual, AC, PS, PB, Disc Brakes, GT package, Pony interior, Console, Bench front seat, Rally Pac, Vinyl top, Luggage or ski rack

Minus would be the
High mileage and 20 years of storage means lots of work. You will need to completely clean and or replace the fuel system, tank lines, pump and carb.

The brakes will need the same thing, so you are looking at a lot of money.

Prices start out at $2500 for running examples that need work and have some rust, to $15k for a restored one with some options.

This would put yours at less than $2000, without seeing it, I would say offer him $1250, it's going to need a lot of work to just get it running and then a slow process to restore it. Good luck with it..

The first number in the vin code is the year, the last letter is the engine code, these can be found on a plate on drivers door and on the top of the fender drivers side.
Check out group for more information and photos.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/clas...
imported_travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

This is just FYI, but the term LONG BLOCK refers to a engine block with the recipricating assembly in it and the heads bolted on. It describes a level of completion. It's something you'd use to describe engine parts for sale.

You should stop using that term immediately, as it is going to give you away very quickly.
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'd sya 2-5 grand depending on the condition of the paint. If it does indeed have a 302 and the interior is shot, I'd lean more towards the cheaper side. The coupes are not goldmines (even though I like them better than the fastbacks of the same year). The electrical system on those cars are very easy and shouldn't take you much time. If you do get it drain the tank, change ALL the fluids and turn the oil pump over with a drill before starting to make sure the cylinders have lube. Good luck and happy buying.
ramzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

if t was a convertible or a fastback, it would be worthy of your time, a coupe is the least desireable and doesn't bring a very good price.
i'd guess it would be worth $1000, anything over that you are just wasting, becaue it may take 2 or 3 thousand just to get it driveable.
hulbard is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion