#8 Fuse keeps blowing in Ford Mustang... Possible cause? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

#8 Fuse keeps blowing in Ford Mustang... Possible cause?

I have a 2001 Mustang GT that is idling rough and dies out when coming to a stop. It also I throwing 4 codes two of which are for the o2 sensors being unresponsive. I noticed that the #8 fuse, which I'm told controls the circuit for the upstream o2 sensors as well as other emmision control parts, keeps blowing instantly as soon as I replace it and turn the key. I checked for damaged wires to see where it is shorting out but the only thing I could find is the connector that plugs into the actual upstream o2 sensor on the passenger side is badly burnt from contact to the header and you can see the pins from the plug. Can this be causing a short? is there electric current going to the o2 sensors? I'm not too familiar with mechanic work, so any help would be appreciated....
gilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

You have already answered your question,,repair the connector going to your oxygen sensor,replace the fuse,,and you should be fine,Yes there is current flowing to and from the sensor. When you replace the connector and the wiring you should solder and heat shrink the connection, this circuit works on very low voltage and just using crimp connectors,etc may cause the circuit to have enough resistance at the repair to cause the ECM to get the wrong voltage reading. If both the female and the male connector is damaged,you should buy the oxygen sensor which will come with one connector,,and get the harness side of the connector from a salvage yard and solder it in place,,Good Luck!
walthari81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

There is a short in the circult. You got the burnt wire so that where i would start. The O2 sencer is most likely bad Because of the burnt wire, there is currant going to the O2 IF you get that all fixes and the fuse still blows then you will have to look what ever is going to ground that's what causes the fuse to blow.
hastiin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion