Should I invest money and modify a 96 mustang v6 with 200k miles? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-19-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Should I invest money and modify a 96 mustang v6 with 200k miles?

I have a 96 mustang 3.8 v6 with 200000 miles but the engine was recently rebuilt. I want to add a lot of aftermarket parts to it but i'm scared of the chance that some sort of mechanical problem with come up soon. So far it seems to be in great condition but how many miles does an engine last after a rebuild?? Should i buy parts for a 3.8 when it could potentially crap out on me with so many miles? Should I look into a new engine? Or is it just not worth my time or money... in which case I should just look for a new car? I want a nice, fast car but I'm scared of investing thousands of dollars just to have it die a year later. I don't have much money, I'm only 20 and live by myself. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
culloden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 02:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

you would be faster and money ahead to sell it and buy a older v8..
wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

thereis a lot of factors to it if you have the money you can order a new 2003 svt cobra motor for about 10 grand and that has 390 hp and 390 ft. pounds of torque but if you do that you might want to buy a stick if it does not come with a tranny and tweak the suspension.i recomend a 6-speed.or go out and buy a 03 cobra for 20 grand. somebody i live with has a 03 and he put in like 2 grand and it has 460 hp and 490 ft. pounds of tourqe
keene65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 03:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It would not be an investment; you would not make money or even break even. I'm very leary of rebuilt engines. I'm sure people will testify differently but, everyone I've known has had them last only a short time. Even if the engine holds up, with 200K all sorts of other mechanical parts are past their expected life. Drive it 'til it dies while shopping for something else.
ballard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:04 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

that's the best body model for mustangs, in my opinion. if you just rebuilt the engine you should be fine, most mechanical problems come from that. so i would.

200K miles is only like 15K a year since '96. thats not too much. think about how many '96 cars are on the road today
jantis8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:29 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

how fast do you want to go? id say your best option is probably start looking at buying/building an engine and transmission for it. drive the current one until you get an engine bought/built, then swap. you could even swap in a 460 if you want to- its been done, and a built 460 can easily be made into 545 ci and put out over 700 horse.
Felten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:38 AM   #7
gil
Registered Member
Regular

i agree with svo man. Just get a v8 and get more hp easier and if the mods are right 20+mpgs.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:04 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

No, I rhink because down the road you'll need to buy a family car if have children, so I wouldn't modify it.
banjamino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

keep the car man that's why its a project, i would do a tune up on the motor in the stang now just to get it done and stay on top of thing's while you decided what you want to do!!! if i were you i would start with the engine look for a v8 5.0l or a 5.8l 351w would be a good choice because of your wide range of parts same gos for the 5.0 you already have the car u want now u just have to get it the way you want it don't let ppl tell you its a waste of money its not like its theres you know if it wasn't for my ford bronco project i wouldn't have much to do in my spare time keep us posted
derrik is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion