I was told 88 M-VII have external balance whats that mean? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I was told 88 M-VII have external balance whats that mean?

hello, ok i have a 1988 302 lincoln mark VII engine that im going to drop in a 1995 v6 mustang actually its already dropped in it and starts up and idles, but i used a V6 flywheel starter and clutch and the car shakes because I'm using v6 parts for a v8. ok i know i need to change all that to v8 parts. also all the 1988 mark VII 302 was built all automatics and my mustang is a standard. now the question is what make and model flywheel can i use to make this thing run right if all 88 M-VII are automatic now what? also i was told 88 M-VII have external balance whats that mean? thanks for listing and hope you got the answer i seek.
ann15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I was told 88 M-VII have external balance whats that mean?

External balance means the rotating assembly is balanced externally. Rotating assembly is crankshaft, rods, pistons. External balance means that for this assembly to be balanced so that it does not vibrate, the external parts that bolt on to this assembly ie the harmonic balancer [or dampner ] is balanced with the rotating assembly. Most flywheels are balanced by themself so your flywheel is not balanced as part of the rotating assembly. If you used the harmonic balancer that came with the engine the only other part that needs to be balanced with the rotating assembly is the flywheel. In which case you either balance the flywheel to the engine or, purchase one for a mustang. Buy the one for the latest model mustang that had a 302 and you should be fine. As for the clutch and pressure plate, If the ones for a 302 are larger than the ones for a v-6 I'd buy them also but they may be the same diameter in which case you can use the ones that you have.
imported_Corey is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion