I 'Sold' my wrecked car, but I still have control over the title. Can I get my car back? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I 'Sold' my wrecked car, but I still have control over the title. Can I get my car back?

Ok so here is my problem. I had a 95 Mustang that I loved, but me and My Fiance were running into some money trouble right before the wedding, so I went to Loan Max and got a little cash off of the car to help us out. Just a few weeks later, I totaled the car by playing 'chicken' with a deer. The car sat in our driveway while we got married and started a new life. In lieu of all of this, I completely forgot about the loan. We were tired of looking at the car and some kid offered to take it for pennies on the dollar with no title. Some weeks later, a repo truck came to get the car, I explained the situation andLoan Maxx is willing to settle with a payment plan so the title can be returned to me. When the title is returned to me, the car is still legally mine. The only thing sustaining the transaction with the kid is an un-notarized bill of sale. I know this was really, really stupid on my part, but I was sopreoccupiedd with everything else, I didn't care at the time. I know its not the nicest or even moral thing to do, but I want the car back. What can I do?
kinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I 'Sold' my wrecked car, but I still have control over the title. Can I get my car back?

You sold the car. The kid that bought it did so in good faith. If you get the title back, you need to sign it and send it to him. Don't try to use excuses to justify ripping him off.
boothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No, the car is not yours. You conveniently 'forget' there was a lien on it but nonetheless sold it as a non titled parts car out of your driveway. Notarized or not you signed a bill of sale. The proper thing to do would be to send the kid the title (with your signature) if you know where he is.

Move on with your life, and do the right thing.
sydeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You should sell the car to the kid, but you don't have to. You changed you mind. It is not a good situation since you agreed to sell. I feel bad for the kid.

Legally the kid could take you to court since you did have a verbal contract to sell the car to him. But in all actuality the kid will not.

beagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sure legally, you could take it. But if you did, that would be a real shtty thing to do. You gave up the car willingly. You need to get the title so the kid can have it. It's really dumb on your part to keep it in your name. If he gets it running and kills someone on the road with it, that can legally fall back on you and be your responsibility. I hope you have awesome insurance coverage
armond is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion