1965 Mustang cam? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2010, 02:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1965 Mustang cam?

I've got a 1965 Mustang, with a 302 from a 71. While I know a fair amount about cars, I'm unsure about what to do about upgrading the camshaft. A few people that I know that used to be mechanics, tell me that I should go with a "mild" cam. I've looked at a few cam websites, and I get confused about what I should get, especially when they start talking about the RPM range. I won't be taking it to the strip, but I would still like it to hold its own on the street. Any help with cam?

Also, do you have any suggestions as to what aftermarket parts I can/should put on it to gain some HP?
ioan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 03:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

1965 Mustang cam?

Let me try to simplify what has already been offered. A mild cam will have an RPM range from off idle to 5500. The most common set up is Edelbrock's Performer camshaft (204/214 duration @ .050" and .442/.471 lift) and intake. I would recommend buying the entire cam kit to include valve springs. I used this set up in a 302 in my 67 Mustang years ago, it was plenty peppy with a smooth idle.

With 3.50 gears, I was running 15.3 @ 90 mph in Bakersfield. Not Earth shattering, but fun.
jaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

1965 Mustang cam?

I just thought i would throw my 2 cents in. I have a 66 mustang coupe and 289. If i wanted to boost more power to it, i would use a mild hydraulic cam and a Ford carb not over 600 cfm. To top it off i would have the heads ported and polished till they shined. Then a low restriction exhaust system. And keep the factory ratio gears in the rear.
Branwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

1965 Mustang cam?

The key to making power with any motor is matched parts. For a cam to work most efficient it needs compression and flow. You could put a cam with an advertised duration of 300 and @ 50 of 240 but with stock heads, pistons, intake and exhaust and it would barely run because where the cam works (rpm range) isn't matched with what the stock parts work at. What you need to do is look at what intake, heads/piston combination (this gives compression) and exhaust set up. The @50 and lift #'s are the most important. For a street engine with low compression (stock) you want something with less than a .500 lift and an @50 of below 210, if you have an after market intake the @ 50 can go up a little. Being a '71 you may check to see if you have 4v heads, they had slightly higher compression. Finally a split duration cam (ex. 268/274) will build power over a greater rpm range on a low compression motor than a strait cam. Good luck.
imported_daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

1965 Mustang cam?

Edelbrock performer, that's the ticket!
Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

1965 Mustang cam?

convert it to a roller, like the B303
http://allfordmustangs.com/forums/94...tml#post822906
greid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:01 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

1965 Mustang cam?

go with engle cams for your mustang and go mild bro otherwise the torq from the engine will twist your uni body frame and twick your alignment the car will drive sideways
cipriano is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
1965 mustang