Mitsubishi starion/chrysler conquest? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Mitsubishi starion/chrysler conquest?

I was thinking of one of these for my first car, but they are very rare to find, most of which are either parts cars, or something that i would take two years to restore (i wouldnt have to much of a problem with that tho)
they are turbocharged 4cyl and can beat the foxbody mustang 5.0 liters,
do you think insurance would kill me on this one for looking at the words "turbo charged" or would it be ok because of the fact that they are early to late 1980s cars?
norbert41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Cool cars. They use the same engine as the Evo, except the American version, so you can find plenty of parts for modifying them. If you're talking about the American version, then it has the 2.6L G54B engine. Everywhere else, it had the 2.0L 4G63 engine. The latter would be the one that is in the Evo. I don't think insurance will be that bad, it's an old car. Just don't do anything stupid like get a ticket or cause a wreck. Keep looking. Try ebaymotors, they'll give you a good idea of what the going price is for one and they have buyer protection. Autotrader is a good one, but be careful of Craigslist, there are lots of scammers. Look for a Starion/Conquest enthusiast's club. They're probably take better care of their cars than the average owner.
deshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I know this question has been resolved but I need to clear up a few things. And apperently I need to be very short.
1. It's not hard to maintain the fuel injection.
2. They're easy to make fast, if you don't have crazy 1/4 expectations
3. The block is strong as hell. The head is prone to cracking.
chankoowashtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I owned one a few years back and they are a nightmare to keep running correct. They don't have a normal fuel injection system so they are hard to keep running right. They don't come with a blow off valve from the factory so the factory turbo will most likely be shot. They handle awesome and are fun to throw around turns and such but are hard to make fast. And the have a g54b not a 4g63 like the guy above stated. Not even close to the same engine as the evo.
chankoowashtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

well you are going to pay more since you are starting to drive and you have a two door car but it should not be too much more now if you got a four door and it was turbo it would be less cause it had four doors... call around and get a quote
raimondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

not worth it, the motor that came in these cars had a weak block that could only handle 300hp. although you could drop in the 4g63 and use the rear driveline from the gsx model eclipse.
wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Those cars stock will not beat foxbody 5.0. They are however sweet cars. I saw a red conquest the other day in great shape. That is a car that still looks good 20 years later.
raedford is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion