Mustang 65 v8 ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang 65 v8 ?

I found a 65 4 barrel mustan v-8 with a 289 manual 4 speed tranny the car have headers and flowmasters,the a/c works and looks good for being that old no bondo minor scratches the car runs but it's being sitting in the guy garange for like 10 years so I have to change all the fluids and some other parts he want's 6k is this a good deal for how much this cars go

the parts for this car aren't that hard to find cuz is one of the mayor classics so some stores carry the parts or other ones sell the aftermarket so is not that hard and they are expensive but not that much
hassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang 65 v8 ?

buy it or in a few years they r going to be so expensive that maybe you won't be able to aford it or if you do u will say why I didn't buy that cheap mustang back in the day
chesmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang 65 v8 ?

Thats a good price for a Classic mustang. Parts are easily avalable as NOS or reproduction. I would buy it
roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang 65 v8 ?

go 4k - if you put some work into it you can easily turn it around for 10k
imported_daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang 65 v8 ?

65 was the first year for the car. 6k is an alright price. you can sell it for 6k easy to a serious car man. its the big v8 with the 4 barrel and manual---guys dream about having it.
wakiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang 65 v8 ?

don't be so sure the ac works if the car has been sitting for 10 years but if the car runs and drives and is complete then 6K seems like a (really) good deal even if you have to do some work you should buy it quick and have fun one other thing if the numbers match its an even better deal definitely buy it hope my long sentence doesn't bother you I wanted to make you feel comfortable
Bearach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang 65 v8 ?

These old Mustangs are prone to rust check it over well especially under the dsah where the cowl is welded. If the cowl is leaking like most do it is about 3 grand to have repaired if you plan on driving in the rain. Also check frame rails
daren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang 65 v8 ?

I would check the VIN number on the car to find out what is original to the car. Most cars of the early 60's did not come with AC if they had the 4spd trans. A 289 4barrel could be a "K" code and 4spd would be worth a lot if it is original but the VIN will tell you what is correct. It sounds like it was modified and is not all original if that is what you expect.

6K is maybe ok but the car sat 10years, you will not only be replacing the fluids but the brake system will be shot if it's original drums, the old wheel cylinders are shot. The gas tank will need replacing alone with fuel pump and filters. The sediment in the tank will cause a lot of problems trying to run it. And that car will need to run on PREMIUM fuel to run correctly. I would replace the point and condenser with a PERTRONIX IGNITOR. Also the radiator if not full of anti freeze will need flushing and possibly the heater core is shot too. You have a lot of work ahead of you but take your time and it will work. Plan on spending a few grand to get it road worthy.
micheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang 65 v8 ?

sitting 10 years it's going to need a lot of work, like all new brakes and all new fuel system including tank and carb. plus the rest of the restoration, so adjust your price accordingly.
cibor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:01 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang 65 v8 ?

I would say go for it. 6K for a car that is that well taken care of is a good deal. Just make sure that there is absolutely no rust, and see if all of the numbers match.
baldur84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion