If I get some performance parts for my car can i get a new speedometer with a higher top speed? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

If I get some performance parts for my car can i get a new speedometer with a higher top speed?

I have a 1994 ford mustang v-6. I am planning on getting some performance parts to make my car run faster. the current speedometer has a top speed of 120. I know that i can go faster so can i get a new speedometer with a higher top speed of say 150?
beshiltheeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 06:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If I get some performance parts for my car can i get a new speedometer with a higher top speed?

You can get a faster speedometer (yours came with 120mph), but for a 1994 V6 you will need to recalibrate the speedo which can be difficult. A calibrator module will run around $100 starting out. You can also simply change the speeod gear in the transmission, though it is not as accurate. All in all, the only way to change the top speed in one is to change the rear end gearing to a shorter gear (which will cost you take off speed) or to change the gearing in the transmission (also costing you take off, and can be rather pricy). All in all though, simply plugging in a GT (150mph) speedo or a Cobra (160 mph) will not work.
tully is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

whats the point? how often do you even drive above 120mph? if you get caught you will go right to jail and car impounded and license taken away.

Either way you have to get a tuner to turn off the speed limiter on the car, buy a gt instrument cluster from a 94-95, re-calibrate everything.

What do you plan on getting anyways? Its a v-6 and is going to take alot to get it to start moving.
kolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

you can do, but you will need to recalibrate the speedo.
trenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Check out this Digital Gauge that tells you your RPM, Speed, and how many miles or kilometers you have on your car. Its from Auto Meter Competition Instruments Part No. 6587
daren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:12 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yes drive down hill
schmaiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

why would u wanna do that the fastest u ever really need to go is like 110 lol
Barnhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion