Mustang Expert. Engine problems? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang Expert. Engine problems?

(I re-posted because I didn't receive quite the answer I needed. This can make or break my decision so please help.)

I am in the process of buying a car. However it has a few (supposedly) minor issues. Unfortunately, I don't know the first thing about engine repairs. The clutch needs to be replaced which is going to be roughly $150. Also, he said "the motor has a valve tap could be from a bent rod so the head will need to be rebuilt." The car is a 4.6L V8 Supercharged '99 Ford Mustang. Please can you give me an estimated cost of parts needed to repair?
kevyn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Bob Web has given you items to check out. Consider this: Valve noise *could be something as simple as a stuck hydraulic valve lifter or bent push rod.

Personally I'd have cold feet because a car that new with clutch problems mean the engine could have been twisted past it's safe RPM limit. Pay a Ford or private mechanic to inspect the motor problems. I also feel the information given to you is pretty vague and weak. Point in fact: If a connecting rod is bent a ton more money will have to be spent on the lower end of the motor than simple valve work.

I'd walk away from this sweety in a heart-beat.
beshiltheeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

can call parts store for part prices can call three shops fro repair work prices smarter not to buy any car that needs work unless you know how to repair it or price it cost to repair it id never buy a car that needs work thats just not smart since you never know just what might be wrong clutch not a big deal but bent rod well that is could be few 100 bucks or new motor wil not know til you get inside new motor migt cost 1000's you want to take that chance rod is in block not head.. crank, rod, piston, head, valves best look at another car really
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm, you're buying a heavily modded car...I'd be a little leary of buying a car that has a motor noise...yes it could be something stupid and minor...but what if it's not? It could be the lifter, could be the pushrod...not anything major but you have to look a the big picture. If he bent a pushrod due to the blower then what else could be wrong or might go wrong in the near future?

How much is he asking for the car? What other mods are done to the car?
lucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

we need more info to give you what tou ask.like what you want to pay for the car.the clutch will cost more than you quoted.call a shop.. i'm going to give you a guesstamate at 1200.00 to 900.00 over all. price the parts and get labor cost from prospects you may use. ford dealer will give you a more exact amount, but other shops may charge you less.
Ekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Eric: Have you checked how much the auto insurance will cost you on that car? Call your auto insurance agent and describe the car to him. You may be shocked to find it very expensive. Also, if I were you, I'd tell the owner that I wanted the car State inspected for mechanical safety and emissions to see how much it will cost to get the car past your State inspections. Tell him you'll gladly pay for half or all of the inspection fees. You may find out that although you know expensive transmission clutch and engine work needs to be done, the car also has hundreds of dollars of other work required. Has the emissions system been modified? You must have a properly functioning catalytic converter, EGR, PCV etc and there can't be any stored computer error codes or it won't pass State emissions testing. Sounds like Kelly f above has had experience with internal engine problems, and you might end up better just assuming you'll need to pay for another engine rather than fix the one in the car. The car engine may have been consistently run over RPM limits if it was used in racing etc.
charly is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion