96 mustang v6, found a nice one, brought to a mechanic, help me out? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
Tye
Registered Member
Regular

96 mustang v6, found a nice one, brought to a mechanic, help me out?

ok, I found a really nice 96 on the side of the road the other day for sale. i called the guy, test drove 20 mins later. Its got 105,000 miles. Very clean, inside and out, engine very clean looking as well. its got an h-pipe. sounds real nice.
I know the guy who owns a toyota dealership in my town. I had the possible seller drive it down to him today. He had his mechanic take a look at it. There was a checklist which i will get tommorow. The owner then spoke with my mother. I guess there are a few things.

-a little play in the steering wheel- new steering shaft he said- $260 i think?

-The exaust pipes i guess will need repair or replacement to pass inspection in april. Is that true?

- Leaking coolant - he said parts cheap, but labor expensive.

3 other leaks.

-Transmission pan gasket

-rear main seal

-front pump seal.

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THIS. I think the mechanic quoted $1600 for everything. is that about right?

The sellers asking price is $3300, what shouldido
Tye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

THIS SOUND LIKE YOU BETTER FIND A DIFFERENT CAR, OR PURCHASE THIS ONE FOR $2000
quigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

WAY TOO MUCH!! Be patient. the right car for you is out there. I am a Ford lover but whoever buys that car needs to be a mechanic. There are thousands of nice V6 mustangs out there and 100000 miles is not too many miles if the car has been taken care of. No leaks etc etc.that car has not been taken care of.
aodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Leave the damn ford along they are not worth fixing you pay 3300 this time then how much the next time.Save your money buy a Chev.want go wrong.Or a Honda they are o.k.Any one can clean a car up to look good.
Felten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Coolant isn't your most important fluid, adn if you have half a brian, driving with steering wheel play is...tolerable. Transmission, seals, as far as the engine, but not doors, and pumps, that's money, and necessary, however. Exhaust pipes? Just rip a catalytic converter off an old car at a junkyard, pay the man his 12 bucks for 50 pounds or less, take it to your mechanic, and he can put it in for less than $20. Or you can do it at home, I did it myself, when I was 14. And that's only if you're an eco-freak. As long as you are CLOSE to noise laws, they aren't gonna run your car in a garage and then test the parts per billion of whatever they want.
imported_Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Pay attention to Gearbox's answer above. The front covers were very bad about leaking on these engines and causing coolant to mix with the oil. The most serious problem I see with the coolant leak is these engines were also very bad about head gaskets leaking coolant as well. I would be very cautious about purchasing this vehicle. If it needs head gaskets and a front cover repair, it may be more than the car is worth, especially if it has suffered a coolant leak internally and bearing damage has taken place. The 3.8 liter does not hold up well if coolant has leaked into the oil. Engine failure usually follows quickly thereafter.
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

My guess is that's why he is selling the car...

Never said what's wrong with the exhaust.... unless you live in the rust belt (where they salt the roads heavy for salt) , shouldn't have any problems with the exhaust

Most mechanics grab the steering shaft, wiggle it up and down and pronounce it bad... On a ford, it's made to be a little loose to help collapse in accidents...

Depends where the coolant is leaking, as the front cover of the motor was known for leaking and maybe the money he is talking about....

The front pump seal would be changed with the front cover seal.. the rear main needs the transmission to be removed to be changed .. and a simple transmission service can solve the trans gasket problem...

Not knowing the exact problems, I couldn't get an idea to start on price..

But first of all bring it to people who understands Fords more.. as what a chevy mechanic may not like is normal on a ford and vise-versa

And to stop everyone in the my car make is better.. all of them have their fair share of problems ... and usually a used car is either someone wanting to get a newer car or get rid of a problem.. and I see at least you decided to ask before buying..

So unless you have your heart set on this car, I would figure out what it would cost you and ask if you were willing to put this amount of money into a 10 year old car?
baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

ask him to lower the price by $1600 and if he doesn't walk away and look for another car.
quin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

laugh at him for trying to stick you with his beater and buy an auto-trader
birkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

look for another car. a ten year old car isn't worth it. 5 gesssss?
daren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Wait for a better deal.

I got lucky found a 95 Mustang GT (V8) with 70K miles for $4,400, and although it has had a few little problems, it has not totalled close to $1,600 (yet).

When you are done, you are looking at spending $5K on a car with 105K miles and a history of problems.
You could definitely find a Mustang in better shape for the money (especially for a V-6). You just have to be patient and keep looking.

Good luck.
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Found
On
Road
Dead
that what you should do sounds like it was abused bad dont buy it
imported_dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

have him give you the car and you take the loss without spending anything on it
Kellan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion