Do cars age? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Do cars age?

I know this seems like a silly question, but let me explain. My '98 Mustang only has 48k miles on it. Does age alone mean that I need to replace parts? Or is it mostly due to wear and tear from high mileage? So if I bought a car and rarely drove it, would it still need a lot of stuff done to it 15 years later? Thanks
randkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Do cars age?

Yes. There are parts that need replacement regardless of whether they're actually used. Mainly rubber and some plastic parts. Rubber will crack or rot, and plastic can become brittle and crack. The most common stuff to need replacement from age alone is weatherstripping. Some electrical insulation could also start to go, but that will likely take a lot longer. Tires weaken and crack, too.

Also, anything that can rust, if you live in a humid and/or salty environment.

If you live in a desert, all you have to worry about is rubber and paint, though.

Oh, and as long as you drive it every couple of months (or better yet, weeks), you don't have a lot to worry about with regard to everything else. Leaving them sit does pose other problems, but I presume you're just talking about driving the car on the weekends and such.
arnett5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Do cars age?

Forgot to mention adhesives. Anything held on with adhesives could eventually fall off.
primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Do cars age?

no, cars do age though, like a fine wine or a great woman, simply better with age
baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Do cars age?

Letting a vehcile sit untouched is much worse than driving it. Vehicles are made out of steel, aluminum, rubber, plastic, etc... All these parts corrode and deteriorate differently. Plus, letting the engine sit is not good. Condensation that would otherwise be evaporated/ burned off during normal engine operation can collect and damage engine parts over time. If your vehicle had even minor rust, even if it was not visible, would be much much worse after letting it sit, as opposed to driving it and washing occasionally. I have a truck that sat for two years, and it was in pretty bad shape when I brought it back into service. Letting a vehicle sit is one of the worst things you can do to a car. Hope this helps
imported_conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Do cars age?

It all depends on the part. A lot of rubber parts may have to be replaced because they WILL deteriorate over time.
lise is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion