V8 1996 Ford Explorer Issues (Price Estimates Needed)? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-25-2010, 03:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

V8 1996 Ford Explorer Issues (Price Estimates Needed)?

I recently recieved a used, '96 Ford Explorer for my 16th birthday. There are quite a few issues with it, most are cosmetic. Here are the ones that I have found so far. A rough price estimate on these would be extreamly helpful, just to know what I will have to pay a mechanic.

-Front right tire is not aligned properly. I had a suggestion to get the "tie rod" replaced/repaired? Any explanation on that would be great.
All I have to work with is this picture (http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...k_steering.jpg) but I have no idea what could be wrong with it.

-Both back doors do not open from the inside. Blown fuse?

-Cruise control buttons (http://info.rockauto.com/Motorcraft/SW5913.jpg) are beyond repair. The plastic casing has cracked and broken (apparently) and now reveals the bare circutry. For now I have them completely covered up with black electrical tape, but I'd really like to get these fixed. Do I need to order the parts myself and hand them to the mechanic?

-When accelerating from 1-35 there is a ticking noise, similar to a card on bicycle spokes. After 35, however, it sounds normal.

-Plastic piece behind back left tire is bent up and under the body. (not obstructing anything though) I have already bought the correct parts. It looks like an attempt at a quick fix by the previous owner. Should I just take it to the mechanic and tell him to have at it?

Thanks to all you car guys and girls out there who put your time and knowledge on Yahoo! Answers, or those who have had similar issues. I appreciate any and all responses.
Renfrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 04:11 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

O.K. You have several issues so I will try to help sort them out for you.
First is your alignment issue if the wheel is misaligned from fron to rear of the tire then it's more than likley a tie rod end or adjustment issue cost: approx. 100.00 either way. If the tireis leaning from top to bottom then then its a ball joint or wheel bearing. if the ball joint is bad
replace both upper and lower and check the other side carefully for torn grease boots and excessive play. cost:ball joints approx 100-200 per side wheel bearing 75-150
Your back doors have child safety locks to prevent children from opening he door and falling out. you can correct this by opening the door and on the latch side of the door are small switches. simply move the switch to the other position and your doors will work fine
Your cruise control switch should be part of the turn signal (multi-function switch) cost:100-150
Ticking noise could be rear brakes,universal joint, or motor mount
No help on the plastic behind the wheel sorry.
I have been a mechanic for 31 years will be glad to assist you if I can Thanks Dave
ramzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

"-Both back doors do not open from the inside. Blown fuse? " hahahhaa fuse??? Check you child safety locks, they're probably on.

Ticking when accel... prob an exhaust manifold leak. estimate $100-$500 or just live with the ticking noise.

Cruise control buttons require the air bag to be pulled to replace, anyone thinking a fuse will keep a door from opening form the inside should not attempt this repair.

Front right tire is not aligned properly - probably a worn out ball joint, very common on older explorers. Aprx $300-$700 not something you can do.
berwynne is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion