Building a 1967 mustang from scratch (well...a body shell) costs involved? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Building a 1967 mustang from scratch (well...a body shell) costs involved?

I am looking to purchase a 1967 mustang body shell, it costs about $9000. what i would like to do with this car, is add a relatively traditional interior, nothing too "custom", i'd like the engine to be a 351 windsor, 4 wheel disk brakes, and keep most of the other parts original. suspension set up, etc.
this car is going to be a daily driver, and will not be taken to race. perhaps a show or 2, but never racing or museum quality, so not all the parts need to be the best money can buy. can anyone give me an approximate estimate as to the total cost of the finished product?
also, would it be wise/more cost efficient to have all the components installed by a regular mechanic, and then have it taken to a resto shop to have all components tuned, painted, etc. or just have it all done at the resto shop?

1 more thing, i wouldn't mind sticking a modified "Eleanor" body kit on it, does anyone know how much one of those kits goes for?
jantis8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Am I to assume this is a 67 fastback, since you want the eleanor package?

To have this done at a shop is going to be very expensive, that person who said it will be cheaper to purchase one already done isn't that far off. Considering your going to be buying parts at a retail cost, then paying someone to have it done. Either way that is one of the most wanted muscle cars out there, mostly from popularity gained from the movie gone in 60 seconds.

There is a company that is buying up the fastbacks around pretty much and turning them in to Eleanor's, this is driving the price of the parts sky high.

Just a heads up the crate engine for a 351 is going to be close to 4-5K

It's going to be pricey either way.
eifion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

sounds like a very expensive plan. 9k for just a shell? Better be mint. You would be surprised at how much rust these things can hide. You will spend big bucks just on a decent engine and the disc brake conversion. Finding trim parts in good condition is going to be a challenge as well. If money is no object, I say go for it. Good luck
Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

DON'T DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REPEAT, DON'T DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'LL BE MUCH CHEAPER TO BUY A CAR THAT SOMEONE ELSE ALREADY COMPLETED.............
riki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
1967 mustang