My car has no VIN number, how do i insure it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

My car has no VIN number, how do i insure it?

Hey everyone, i just finished restoring a 1968 mustang fastback, when i originally got the car it was only the back part (no front end) I read that the vin number is underneath the front wheel well but i had those bought aftermarket. I am only 17 so i am new to this, how will i be able to get insurance / register the car without a vin? The car has no registration
garren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
wu
Registered Member
Regular

Your mustang will have at least two locations for the Vehicle Identification Number. One is behind the windshield on the driver's side. One is on the frame, should be on the drivers side under the wheel well. And I believe there is one on the left frame rail above the axel. Don't quote me on that. The State patrol vehicle inspection office, (might be part of the DMV) should have a listing of where all the VINs would be located for your car. However, just locating one is not going to cut it. You will have to have the car inspected and they might reissue a new VIN or at least put new VIN tags on the car.
wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

There are several locations where there could be a VIN number, not just one.

You will need to get the bill of sale for all the parts, and go down to the DMV office, and prove that you built it from scratch. Depending on the state, you may need to register it as a "kit car".
rosswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Every car has a VIN, whether it has been restored or not. You are going to have to track down where you bought it from and previous owners. Might call the insurance agency and ask them as well.
milward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Get as much resource as you can maybe is one option,however it could be quite time consuming,here http://www.AutoInsuranceFree.info/fr...-insurance.htm is one resource i have had good experience.
ccri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It does depend on what state your in, however the vin # should also be stamped on the frame rail. In MI though the Secretary of State can issue a vin #. You will need receipts and bill of sales though.
pueblo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Forget the VIN you can't do it without registration. I would get it registered first. Go down to the DMV and ask them about the VIN number.
taurino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

You have to contact your insurance agency about this, but the car can be assigned a VIN number for a fee.
imported_Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

You need to discuss this with your local tax registry office. They would know what needs to be done in a case like this.
bartlett14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion