1980 ford mustang full drag race car? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1980 ford mustang full drag race car?

My dad is having starting issues with his mustang. Its starts just fine when cold just after it warms up it. Its turns over very slowly like the battery is almost dead. So its charging and holding a charge. It has a 429 stroker windsor high compression but has a brand new high torque mini starter. This car has all the high quality and brand new parts. Nothing is used but can't figure out why its hard to start once it is warm. Any ideas?
yitzchak8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

try to disconnect the ignition when warm and if it cranks slow then timing has nothing to with the problem.On mine I needed a second ground cable to the block and larger power cable to the starter.I am using the Ford starter for a newer Mustang on my stroker 2 gage ground wire and 00 power to the starter wire
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Your static timing is set too high. Try backing it down a couple of degrees at a time and see if this helps. This by the way is normal for high compression engines and strokers make for some really high compression ratios.
mathieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

the pistons and rings must be to tight in it... run it a few times and see if it loosens up..did you run some break-in oil? try running some 10w or mixed with Reslone for a few passes..
gabrio is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion