Increased Horsepower? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Increased Horsepower?

About how much more horsepower can i expect to gain on a stock 1966 Mustang 2bbl 289 engine after I upgrade the following parts? edelbrock 4bbl performer intake and edelbrock carb. Upgrade the air intake to a k&n air filter. Add tornado fuel saver. upgade from stock 2 1/4 dual exhaust to a 2 1/2 flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust with H pipe and shorty headers. how much more horsepower can I expect with all of the followiing upgrades?
fairlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Increased Horsepower?

15 to 20
artzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Increased Horsepower?

doin all that will make it AS fast as a stock 79-85
macdhubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Increased Horsepower?

In reality, about 25hp gain. Upgrading the heads and camshaft will show alot more gain with these mods.
emmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Increased Horsepower?

3 to 5 hp. Good day.
h¡varr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Increased Horsepower?

First off- that Tornado thing is crap, throw it in the trash, or recycle it as a doorstop. If you are lucky, you can pass the misery on to someone else via eBay.

I am going to guesstimate at your potential HP numbers, but you really should get it on a dyno before you tinker with it, so you have a baseline, and can tell if your modifications are helping or hurting.

Those early 289's got about 200 SAE crank HP, so you are probably looking at about 160 to the ground if you have an auto, maybe 175 with a manual. Not a lot to start with.

Upping to the 4bbl intake, carb and K&N should get you 30-40 hp right away, and is probably the biggest gain you will see. You might get a few more from the exhaust, but don't expect huge numbers, 10-15 at most. The fact that you are combining intake and exhaust mods will help, but make sure those 40 year old internals can take the added strain!

Short answer: I will guess your rwhp will be in the 225-230 range. Let me know how close I got!
hastiin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion