Which type of carburation best for '68 mustang 302? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Which type of carburation best for '68 mustang 302?

I went to a car show this weekend and everybody either had fuel injection or a single 4-barrel carburetor. I have a generic Holley 600 cfm and am tired of 'fitting in', and even before this I was thinking of changing to something else, something bigger. I was thinking of either a tri-power setup (three 2-barrel carbs), dual 4-barrel carbs, or a weber 48 IDA Cobra setup. Has anyone had any experience with either of these? Gas mileage and horsepower is of no concern. I know that my automatic transmission (Ford AOD) will work with the dual 4-barrel and am fairly positive that it will work with the tri-power as well, but I don't know if the weber 48 IDA's would work with automatics. My engine should be able to handle the extra carburation, it's been bored .060 over (now 311 cubic inches), RHS heads, 224 in. & 230 ex. duration @ .050 cam (hydraulic), 10.1:1 compression, and is producing in excess of 390+ horsepower or at least that is what my engine builder says. The 600 cfm holley was on the engine before it was rebuilt and seemed a little small afterwards but still performed decently so it stayed and now it's time for it to go. If you have any experience, any advice or warnings I would like to know. Thanks
donnachadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

You could always put a Demon on it..

Demon CarbPayPalFind Barry Grant's High-Performance Carburetors Now. Same-Day Ship.
http://JEGS.com
search resultsDemon Technical Support
... demon, Demon Carburetion, fuel systems, Nitrous Works, Rush performance filters, ... Watch our videos on carb installation and maintenance. Videos ...
http://www.barrygrant.com/demon/defa...ge=techsupport
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

From a performance standpoint, a single carb will probably give better throttle response. I have a very similar engine with the exception of the heads. (I have early 351w ported heads) I replaced the 600 holley on mine with a modified 2 barrel that came off of a 390 F350 truck engine. It isn't pretty, but it has a lot more torque under 3500 rpm.
parnell is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion