Any one know about (standard) '96 Mustang GT's? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Any one know about (standard) '96 Mustang GT's?

I just bought a '96 mustang gt.
When I test drove it, it started up fine, and everything seemed to be going well.
The next day when I went to pick up the car, I tried to start it up and it was making this horrible clacking noise. I turned the key off and it was still trying to engage!! We un-hooked the battery cable to cut the car off. We tried it again and it did the same thing.
It did that for a while then then it would finally crank without problem.
Now when I try to crank it, it has an extended crank and I have to turn it over 2-3 times before getting it to start.
I had my battery tested at Advanced Auto Parts and the battery is good... what in the world could it be??? They said the silinoid... but, my silinoid is on my starter instead of the firewall..
I am supposed to take it to the garage to have the starter replaced, but what could it be?
Any Suggestions?!?!
pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

It does sound like your starter was hanging up. But without anyone being there to actually look at it or hear your concern it will hard to tell. Continue with your plan on taking into the shop.
arvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

if it did it before you took the car home you should have told him to fix and then you will buy it now you could get stuck with the problem he could just do a temp fix and them a week later it could be doing it again i would be a little more cautious when buying a care bad choices can be costly but it does sound like the silonoid but also could be ignition switch?
walthari81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Hi there- please let me say, first of all, that I am not an expert. I am not a mechanic.

But I would encourage you to have the vehicle inspected by a trustworthy mechanic. Next time you buy a car, make sure and have it inspected thoroughly first before you buy it. But I hope you can have this minor opportunity fixed at little expense to you.

It could very well be the solenoid, or maybe the flywheel or flexplate. I think that all solenoids are on the starter- but I am not a mechanic. I am not familiar with Fords much at all, and I only know a little about GM cars.

I would have an honest mechanic inspect the entire car. It will cost you around $100 or so- but I think it would be well worth your peace of mind. Good luck with your Stang! : )
chesmu is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion