Which used mustang to get? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Which used mustang to get?

I'm having a hard time sifting through the wealth of information on various mustangs, and I know the better ones are 2005 and later, however my credit and income don't really allow me to get one that new. Out of the earlier years (1990-2004), which year would you say is better as far as reliability, handleability, gas economy, and cost of repair? The things I worry most about are:
1) something that will fishtail with some water on the road ( no, i'm not a crazy driver, i go maybe 6 mph over the limit, but i'm trying to examine the rumors about mustangs driving on water)
2) getting a car that is cheap to buy, but parts and labor are expensive, or something that tends to break down frequently
3) a car in which i cannot access the battery to replace it due to a fuse box on top that can only really be removed by a mechanic (i gained this fear thanks to my current car, an '05 VW beetle -_- )

Thanks for any suggestions
tiberio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

You want a Mustang, so lets go there;

Buy the newest one you can afford, that has the least number of miles,
If you aren't bothered by Testosterone fits, get the v6 and automatic, and try to find one that was driven by an adult, not a kid......

1) fishtailing and hydroplaning in the rain, are usually caused by tires being too wide, run the stock wheels and 75 series tires...

2)you should get 200,000 miles out of a properly maintained car, parts shouldn't be expensive or labor..

3) this is pretty well a straight forward american design, everything should be in it's proper place...
cingeswiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

fox body mustangs have a great reliability and the parts are everywhere, although the body isnt that pretty. they are from 1979-1993 They are often used in drag races because of the amount of upgrades you can add to it and how easily it is to replace parts. But reliability aside they also produce lots of power for the price. Gas mileage on mustangs generally arnt that good foxes can get great mileage depending on how you drive of course.
thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If you want a more reliable car or a car that lasts longer don't look at mustangs... Cars with japanese motors such as Honda, Nissan, or Infiniti usually are far more reliable in every aspect of the car. I understand that mustangs and very attractive and appealing, but there's also much more reliable cars that are quite nice. Look at autotrader.com or cars.com they're both very good websites for finding cars and avoid using craiglist because the only time you find a good deal there its too good to be true unfortunately.
rosiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

the 2004 is way better than the older ones. i have a 1991 and it gets 17 mpg, which is worse than a lot of pickups and SUVs, and my 1996 honda civic is way faster and safer and gets TWICE the gas mileage! the 1990-1993 has horrible mileage, HORRIBLE braking distances in emergencies, and fishtails at anything over 15 km/h around a wet 90-degree corner!
ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I have an 2004 mustang 40th anniversary v6 3.5l mustang it gets horrible gas mileage. BUT, I always drive like I stole the car. So that's just me. I do a lot of racing well not real racing but that racing you do in town when a couple of cars are messing around and stuff lol.
Mustangs are the best.
They are HOT cars.
They sound good.
If I could afford a 2010 I'd have it. But unfortanately I'm getting a 2007 or 2009.
cosgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

if you want a fast car look for a classic GT but ir you want luxury get a 2006 model with a luxury package. (or get a camaro)
rashane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

the newer one
thormond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

if you can find a early 90s mustang with the 5.0 efi engine get that. i had i 92 thunderbird with the same engine and i got around 20mpg and it had a v8. it also had 50hp more then the 80's stangs. it was a great car. to top it off the 5.0 efi engines are everywhere and they are bullit proof. they run forever. my 5.0 tbird had 158000 miles on it acording to the gauge which didn't work. get a early 90's fox body or if you can't stand the look of those cars get a 94-95 mustang with the 5.0. don't get the 4.6. my crown vic has a 4.6 and its killing me in gas and its slower.
raimondo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion