What parts do i need to link this 302 engine up with this t-5 transmission? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What parts do i need to link this 302 engine up with this t-5 transmission?

Hey everyone. I bought a 302 V8 engine from a '69 mustang and I have a t-5 manual transmission from an '87 240z. The transmission has the original nissan bellhousing and the engine has it's original flywheel. No clutch or pressure plate or starter motor. My understanding is that I would have to find an adapter for the bellhousing to fit up or that I would have to get a new 5.0L Ford bellhousing for it. Would I just have to get a replacement clutch/pressure plate for the transmission and possibly a new bellhousing? thanks
josilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

The input shaft is five-eighths of an inch longer on theT5 and it will require a new later bell housing or a the correct spacer. Many people sell the spacer. The shifter on the T-5 is placed much further forward on the case and the handle may need to be bent to fit under the dash depending on the car.
Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Hi
Assuming that a new bell-housing or adaptor could be made or found, you still have a problem with things like clutch release arm / thrust bearing compatibility to pressure plate. The pressure plate would have to work with the flywheel (Ford) and the friction plate with the transmission input shaft (Nissan). This would still leave small things like starter and spigot bearing to work out.
I would imagine the 302 Ford block is compatible with some other Ford manual transmissions which would be a whole lot easier to hook up and available used / scrap. Maybe check some Hotrod parts suppliers to see which trans' are commonly used with the 302?
finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

a world class t-5 from a 87-95 mustang is your best bet. It will bolt right up, they are plentiful and fairly inexpensive around junkyards and classified adds. the 94-95's have different bellhousings, and a longer input shaft, so id go for the 87-93 depending on the app.
meturato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

sry but theres no bell housing and clutch to match them.
cedro is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion