Hole in gas tank? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2010, 04:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Hole in gas tank?

My car speakers in my 2000 mustang gt recently stopped working and the amp for the inside speakers was a custom install along with the sub amp, so the guy who installed it mounted the speaker amp inside of my tire well. To check the amplifer, I unscrewed the amplifier and noticed a gas smell when I did so, I discovered the guy who installed it must have drilled through the gas tank because when I stick my nose in front of the hole I get a strong smell of gas. The hole is the size of a screw, is this dangerous and so far I have just sealed the hole with some dynamat and see no problems with keeping it this way. Is it ok to keep the car in this condition or do you think I need to replace the tank. Also I have noticed a leak of some sort on the bottom of the car, could this be part of the problem or it it unlikely, seeing as how no gas is leaking into the tire well. I cant tell whether the leak on the bottom is oil or what, but it doesnt seem to smell like gas, then again its dry.
macdhubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 04:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Hole in gas tank?

Avoid trying any welding attempt even in an empty cleaned fuel tank for reasons of safety. Best is replacement of a leaky tank. You may also plug the hole by screwing in a self tapping steel screw. Make it leak proof by applying 2 component epoxy paste like M-seal /JB weld in any leak spot. This procedure is usually adopted in war fronts to make an emergency repair in radiators and gas tanks.
napayshni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Hole in gas tank?

Call your local Ford dealer and ask them what they suggest!
cuarto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 05:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Hole in gas tank?

Take the car back where it was worked on and show the receipt to the store owner. He's responsible for repairs.
You could have a fire................
ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Hole in gas tank?

wow that's a pretty complex Q.
I would probably take the car to a licensed mechanic to check it out.
A hole in the gas tank is not something to play with.
there are millions of mustangs out there so finding a gas tank at a junk yard should be no problem.
nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Hole in gas tank?

you are right it would be best to replace the tank but if that is too expencive then if you know how to remove it then you can make sure that what ever you pluged it with is sucure i would remove the tank and gas give it a good cleaning and seal the hole with some thing really strong like welding a peice of mettal over it if the tank is mettal inside and out to be on the safe side as for the other leak it could be oil but there are a lot of fluids in a car so it is posabule that is could be harmless such as wiper fluid but it could be anti freeze or brake fluid best take a look at the lybary for a book or manul for your model in any case tradisonaly wiper fluid is blue and smells like windex but a bit stronger oil could be black if its been used alot but fresh oil could be a gold like color and have a smell simmler to tar i think anti freez is green as for what it smells like i dont have the foggyst you could send me pictures of your car and the hole in the tank and i could ask my dad he is a auto wizz and maybe he might have a better idea on the other hand if you ever need to get a new car think of me before you get rid of the old one ok
josilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Hole in gas tank?

no real "fix" other than to replace the tank. replacement tanks can be had for $150-200 from the aftermarket. pretty easy to swap too. maybe an hours worth of work.
take it back to this stereo shop and try to get them to fix it. at my dealership we do a lot of fixing "custom shops" projects.
strange you didnt mention that the check engine light was on...prob a code po455 or po456.
emrys27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion