I need help with my 1972 351C (only people that know alot about engine please)? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I need help with my 1972 351C (only people that know alot about engine please)?

i have a 351C in a 1972 mustang it sounds like it keeps missing, backfiring and no throtle response. but i fixed the cap, rotor, and spark plugs, now what? i also want to find some cheap ways to add hp and torque to it. i no i can get aussie heads but should i get 4v or 2v and why? what cam goes with it, and were can i get it? what manifold and were? i know summit has alot, but which ones. i need help but in a easy perspective for me to understand. i only have about a $1000 or so. so i have to keep it kind of cheap. how do you fix the common oil system problem in it? wat is the best thing to do with that amount of $ and what should i do if i add a blower later? i need to no what parts specifically like which cam in summit, or which manifold? is a crank shaft or pistons a good idea? can u please leave email to discuss better!! oh also when a manifold in summit says one rpm to another rpm range, it dont make since because wouldnt u want the edlebrock big y manifold before xcelorator one?
breandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Put a timing light on it and set it for 10 to 12 degrees initial timing and make sure your firing order is right. If the problem persists, you may be rounding off a lobe, remove both valve covers, bump the motor over and look for a loose push rod and/or a rocker arm that doesn't move as much as the rest.
Aussie heads have 2V runners for streetability and 4V combustion chambers for quench and BIG valves, the best of both.
Chamferring the oil return holes in the valley help with oil return. This is done during a tear down only.
The rpm range on a manifold is where it responds best, it is meant as a guide for selection against other parts.
2V heads, a 1500-6500 rpm cam and manifold, with a 750 carb will make an EASY 400hp Cleveland.
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I would suggest calling Summit and talking to one of their techs.
birkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

There are several web sites that show how to get more oil to the top of the motor.Search for (351c external oil line)I did it on mine and it works great.
I put a Edelbrock performer rpm intake on mine.It's great
I have 4v heads on mine but their hard to find.
Also,scrap the stock ignition and get a Mallory unilite distrubitor.(no points)They work great with no problems.
ayawamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 2bbl cleveland that i installed in my 79 f-150 that came out of a 73 cougar.I also have a 4 bbl cleveland in the garage for a spare that came out of a 71 torino and i rebuilt both myself.You need to check your timing.It sounds like you may have a worn timing chain and gears that might have slipped time.If the timing is off youll need to replace them if you cant properly set your timing.It also sounds to me like you havent priced many of these upgrades that you are wanting.You can easily spend MANY thousands with the upgrades you are talking about-Good Luck! PS-Go with the 4 bbl heads for high rpm horsepower.
colbert31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion