Chevy guys N girls i have a 408 sbc i need carb advice? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2010, 06:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Chevy guys N girls i have a 408 sbc i need carb advice?

this little mouse has aluminum heads with 2.05 intake and 1.625 exhaust valves a comp 294 degree cam with .560 lift it has 1.6 roller rockers and 10.89 compression the intake is a holley pro dominator dual highrise the bottom end is all lightened forged parts its in a 79 z28 with a 4 speed and 4.11 gears car weighs 3,550 lbs and needs carbs to be finished everything is matched to peak horse at 6800 rpm some street use but its main use is shutting up my cocky neibor and his 89 ford mustang thanks for your help
dubv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 06:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Most dual quad intakes were designed to use Holley 4160's because they have no metering block on the secondary side and are more compact than the 4150, giving more clearance.

If it were me, I'd use a pair of 525 cfm Barry Grant Road Demon Jr carbs. The secondary side has a fixed-jet metering plate, which in conjunction with the float bowl configuration allows for a shorter overall length. This allows the Road Demon Jr to fit on most inline dual quad manifolds originally designed for dual 4160 Holley carbs.
imported_kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I would go with a set of small holly 2 barrel carbs. They still look cool and will stimulate low end torque

You have a very light car and even though the 4 speed is more fun, it would be faster with a powerglide 2 speed automatic.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 07:54 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

i have a holley 950hp on my 406, very similar to your combo. runs hard too. very pleased with the performance. and just an fyi that carb is called a 950 but in reality flows 830... not at home to get you a list #. sorry.
trenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

with the setup you described you need somewhere around 800 cfm. maybe more to build power at the top of the rpm band. edlebrock has a dual 500cfm setup that comes with all the linkage, that you may want to have a look at. try summitracing.com. of course they'll have the carbs you need and if you give them a call they can give you a better answer than anyone on here. and make sure you have all of your part numbers when you call, just to make sure you get the correct info.
alfrid is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion