Can you put an 03' Mustang Cobra supercharger on a 99' Mustang Cobra? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Can you put an 03' Mustang Cobra supercharger on a 99' Mustang Cobra?

I have a 99' Cobra almost stock w/90000miles. I would like the extra power the 03'-04's have. What do I need for the conversion if it can be done? Should I do a rebuid first? I've seen just the supercharger for sale and ones with the whole intake, injectors, and wireing. Do I need the whole thing?
cedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

you will need the whole engine since they are special built to take the extra hp
kele74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

i would not suggest to just do a direct swap. I would rebuild so that it will have more power and your engine will last a lot longer. of courses u need the whole thing. maybe u should just get a 04 cobra with a supercharger already on it.
kevyn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If all you want is the power increase then it would probably make a little more sense to put a centrifugal supercharger on it instead of a roots or screw type supercharger. The installation will be MUCH easier. If you are set on the 03-04 supercharger, it can be done but will cost you a lot more and the installation will be more difficult. The only down side to the centrifugal supercharger is that it will not produce as much boost at lower RPM's but plenty of power can still be made. I personally would hesitate to add forced induction to an engine with 90,000 miles on it but that is up to you. Can the engine handle it?--maybe but for how long is the question I would be worried about. Maybe freshen up the bottom with a hone or light bore if necessary, new bearings, piston rings etc.

To add to an above post, you will not need the entire engine. The 99's bottom end is forged and (assuming reasonable mileage) will handle the boost
Berwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

OK you will have a nightmarer trying to fix it not worth it. THIS IS NOT A OLD CAR.
you can't just swap engines, you have all these computer parts that may not fit.

I love fords. its cool you have a mustang
warrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The 04 cobra motor has a stronger built lower end to support the boost from the supercharger. Even if you could direct swap you might end up shelling the motor.
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion