How does one get started in drag racing? whats a good car to start with? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

How does one get started in drag racing? whats a good car to start with?

im lookin for a good project car to tune and drag race. i was thinking of a 94 mustang gt with the 5.0 engine since there are lots of parts for it. and there kinda fast stock. what do you think? any other suggestions would be nice.
Cathair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Put on fishnets and high heels and run down the street!!!!
espowyes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

sure .......good idea any 5.0 stang will work well...... but the idea here is just to get started... once your racing you'll have a much better understanding of the sport ....not to mention lots of leads for info , parts, makes , models... I made many friends during my raceing yrs., and I'am sure you'll do the same...... Good luck to you my friend.....ps... in the late 60's and 70's I raced a 66 ford GT. 427 (non stock ) in B-MP. class ....best ET. 10.87 @ 119 MPH. thats slow today .... Daryl
birney44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 01:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The first thing you should do, is to get a copy of the rules book. That way you will know what is legal and what it not. This will also help you decide on what class you want to run in. Just starting out, you will have to bear the cost of the car and parts. Networking with other racers is another good way to get into the game. They can offer tips, and help out with parts sometimes, if they have extras, or they have upgraded.

good luck.
Arleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:14 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

In the words of Don Garlits, "Racin' costs money, how fast can you afford to go?" Back in the early 70's when gas was 35 cents a gallon you could race all night on $10 worth. Personally, I think you ought to get a Dodge with a 5.2 V-8. I had a 5.0 mustang try to pass my '74 Dodge step side on the wrong side one afternoon. Take notice I said try. When we turned off the highway, he flagged me down and wondered what I had under the hood. I showed him that old V-8 with a single barrel carb on it. He then asked," where's the nitrous ".
beagan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion