HELP!!! Should I buy this horse? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

HELP!!! Should I buy this horse?

There is this horse for sale that I am very interested in buying. He is a 7 yr old 16.1hh registered TWH gelding. Broke to ride, but hasn't been ridden since November. This horse is underweight right now (can't really tell in the pics cuz of his fuzzy winter coat), isn't being fed very good quality hay and not very much of it. When I went to see him today the only thing he did that concerned me was when his owner walked up from behind him from out of the barn, he spooked a bit. But, I didn't get a chance to ride him.

I only want a horse for pleasure and trail riding. I DO have a lot of experience working with horses (including having worked with a BLM Mustang)

At his age can he still be "de-spooked"? I don't THINK he was too spooky but again, I didn't get a chance to do much with him. I plan on going back out again in a couple days.

He's mine for $750 if I want him.

Here he is (I know these aren't good pics but they're the best I could get today)

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...g/bullet03.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...g/bullet04.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...g/bullet05.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...g/bullet01.jpg
franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If he checks out w/your vet, by all means buy him!
He looks like a walker that I bought some years back during the winter.
He was a diamond in the rough-very woolly, looking much like a woolly mammoth. lol!
When spring came and he started to shed, we were absolutely amazed at how beautiful he was under all of that hair.
Make sure you ride him a couple of times before you buy him though, and get a little bit of info. about his history if available.
Don't worry about him spooking. Even I jump sometimes when someone walks up behind me!
Good Luck!
gaven60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

He is going to be amazing looking when he is all groomed, clipped and put on a bit of extra weight! And for 750$? I would snatch him up in a heart beat By the sound of him with a little bit of going over the old stuff and a little bit of training he should be perfect for trail riding (assuming he isn't to "spooky")
Berwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 02:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

He's a good-looking horse for the wintertime! I don't know much about your other questions, but yes, he can still be "despooked". Croatoan was a 8 yr. old wild stallion captured in the outer banks. He was trained completely in a matter of weeks and is now a children's mount.
raimondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:00 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

You should check out this lil boy

http://www.horsefinders.com/horse-fo...-CA_63097.html

He lives in Californa
ramzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

yep i think he is really cute, especially with a fuzzy winter coat. if i were you i would go and see him again but this time ride him, but thats just me.
macdhubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:41 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

you are the best judge of what you want for a horse.. but i think he will be suitable.. giving the horse confidence from the rider will assist in De-Spooking
westbroc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

He looks pretty good. I think he needs to gain a few pounds. and for 750 he's basicly a steal and also registered. Go get 'em!
natal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:30 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I would buy him if he checks out with the vet.
mervyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:08 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

if you have the patience to work with him, I say to go for it! He is very cute!
Good luck!
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:58 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

for 750 dollars and registered yes. fatten him up and groom him
and spend some time with him, you could sell him for more
imported_archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:25 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

OMG adorable! Definitely a yes...just give him a nice grooming and a quick shave and he'll be in tip top shape!
wicleah26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:53 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

i say go for it!
imported_daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:24 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

You asked if he could be "despooked". No horse is ever "despooked". The most calm horse can act "spooky" under the right circumstances. Horses can, however, be desensitized to various stimuli that may cause them to spook. You may want to "sack him out" as a part of his training when you get him. I am wondering why a registered TWH that's broke and fairly young is only $750.00. Make sure you have a vet check him over (a good vet will give him some lameness tests), ask if he has had any former injuries, and make sure you ride him before you make a buying decision.
schmaiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Definitely!!

Once he is body clipped and puts on some weight, he'll be absolutely beautiful! He already is

Anyways, de-spooking isn't something to worry about. A horse can be trained out of it. You ought to go back and ride him and check out other things. Like if he spooks in other situations and what-not. If you think you can handle it, go for it!

I mean, de-spooking is usually just a confidence issue. Once you give him a better home and you get him to gain trust in you as well as other people, it'll be gone. So you just need the time basically.

But yes, buy him!
arnett5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Oh my these poor horses are just walking around in friggen mud....can you say "Mud Fever" thats horrible... well he looks nice enough and if you take him home and give me (what i can see it very well needed from where he is) TLC and a good diet you could take him along way

My guess is these ppl have alot of horses and he is probably nervy because he never gets much attention...this can be correct but it will take some time and patients on your part but if you are willing to do this i think he is a good project horse i think he is very pretty..

Hope i helped

Good luck !!!
eloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

DEFINETLY!!! $750 is an amazing price for a horse!!! fattening him up a bit will be a difficult task, but def. possible... as for being too old to despook, ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! 7 yrs for a horse is young!!! I am helping my friend with her horse, hes 17 yrs. old and had to completly be rebroke, despooked, the whole nine yards! Horses are fairly easy to despook... just be careful because for $750, it seems like there is some hidden info. that you arent being told... that price is for a good mini or pony.... not exactly a young 16.1 hh horse... just be careful and try to ride him b4 you buy him!

and he cleans up real well in the last pic! lol super cute!! I love the white socks and the one white spot on his right side!!!(on his barrel) !!! SUPER ADORABLE!!!
micheal is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion