Painting an engine block? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-01-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Painting an engine block?

I have a 1973 Ford Mustang that I want to restore. I have to pull the engine and am looking to repaint it. The question is, what parts get painted the ford blue? Does the intake manifold and alternator get paint or are they removed and left bare metal? I am looking for any specific information people may have on restoring old cars. Since I am going to pull the engine and rebuild it, I only get one shot at getting it right.
roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

You can paint the intake manifold. It does not get as hot as the exhaust manifold and the paint will survive if you use a high temp paint. Get that at your local hardware store or an auto parts house in whatever color you want.

You can paint the alternator too.. or, perhaps you may want to buy a chrome plated one (eBay).

Only the exhaust manifold presents a problem. Even high temp paint has a short life on it since it carrys the hot exhaust gas from the engine and gets warmer (a bit of an understatement) then anything else.

good luck.. .. spray well and be sure to let the coats dry between spraying.
Farren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Back then the engines were completely cast iron. Oil pan, block, both heads and valve covers get painted heat resistant blue. Even the water pump got painted, but mask off the fan flange and shaft good. Don't forget the original air filter can...
redvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If you have trouble getting the info, someone in the post vintage section of a/your local vintage car club may be worth a try.
dichali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well I don't really know but all I can tell is to paint the shown parts u know like the cover of the engine maybe the battery cover the wires it will make it look so good
glendyn52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion