Determined to restore an old car, not much experience? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Determined to restore an old car, not much experience?

I would absolutally love to restore an old car, perferably a 66/67 mustang. I do know some basic stuff about cars however not a ton, I am a quick learner and have a huge love for old cars, I also have the money to do it myself and currently no school or work, so I can dedicate all my time, is it possible to learn as I go? Books and all that? I also do not have a garage, however my sisters dad has a huge tarp shelter that if I altered I could easily turn into a windproof makeshift garage. My grandpa is also a mechanic of 30 years and my uncle knows a ton about cars and works at a place called you-pull-it where they have junk cars and parts so I can get stuff for cheap. However I would like to do as much as possible on my own. Would this be a realistic goal if I work hard at it? To learn as I go and have it look good? I also want to restore the interior as well, new carpet and seats and all of that jazz. Any resources or tips would be great
erland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

As someone who as restored a few cars (to include two old Mustangs), I recommend looking at car club ads for a good car.

I further recommend finding a car that was recently restored and that you really like, and purchasing it. This will sound like a cop-out to a car restorer, but there are plenty of things to do to keep up an old car, to include personalizing it to your taste.
napayshni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yes it is but you may need a mechanic friend or someone who knows a lot to help you at some point. The good thing about the old cars is that you can restore them because they are not run by computer brains.

If it's a dream of yours do it, it will be fun even if you don't finish restoring it.

I love the old ones too but the 69+ mach1.
collin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Go for it. The only way to learn is to get in and do it. I would suggest though start with someting that doesnt have a lot of value. Im restoring an 89 trooper I bought for 500$. Its not easy but its more fun than any night out at the bar.
thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

what i would do i would go buy book about that car look up info about that car and then buy it and have some one to the motor work if you do not know what you are do you can mess it up bad
redvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It is a huge undertaking and not for the unequiped. Knowledge of welding cutting and bending steel is very important. Also advanced mechanical knowledge. Also knowledge of bodywork and paint. If you are going to do an interior you need to learn upholstery. You should really go and talk to someone that has a complete restoration under way to get a idea of just how complicatied it can be.
It sounds like a better idea for a beginer would be to find a running car that needs some minor attention on a few areas. You can then learn the things you need to know while having fun with the car. Do not put a lot of emphasis on having your first projects look really good. The first times are about learing.
Elishama is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion