Are Foxbody Mustangs good hotrods? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Are Foxbody Mustangs good hotrods?

are the foxbody 1983- 1992 decent hotrod projects

im just wondering if i can get decent power out of them i see them for sale for like 3k and they got a the 5.0 5 speed GT cars for 3k

Most have VERY little rust but im just wondering if the motors have potential if not would it be good to do a motor swap im hoping to run atleast 12's with the car

how much would i end up spending im currently a student in a auto tech school so i am on a tight budget and can do all the work
jeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
on
Registered Member
Regular

YES, they do ever tried to catch one?These are perfect cars to hot rod and modify. They came with the 302 and are roller motors and forged innards, I have owned the fox body cars since 96 and my present car is a 90 GT convertible. 243,000 thousand on the stock block and still kicks a_ _. Heads and cam are worth over 150more horse power, go with a stroked 302 to a 347 or use a 351 based block and make a 427. These cars are still around and parts a plenty, getting cheap like a Chevy part. Check out E bay there are 61,177 parts for mustang NOW. OH for the potential how about 8's
on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Fox body Mustangs are good for racing. I would recommend just finding a 4 cylinder body for your engine. You can find a 4 cylinder for way less. The rear end is pretty good for racing, but a 9 inch rear end will do you better. Also beef up the suspension on the vehicle too. The car is rather light for it's size and running 12's in a 1/4 is no problem.
jerad9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You can make those cars pretty fast, and there are tons of aftermarket parts available for those cars and engines. I'd say it'd be a good first project.
birkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Fox bodies are THE hotrod of today. They are like the flathead fords, or 55 chevys of today. I saw one run 8.2 in the quarter last weekend. 8 SECONDS!!!!! WTF
keene65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

no
eifion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yes there is a year of Fox body mustang that is lighter than the others, that makes a good drag car, because if you go to a drag strip, then you will see many fox bodies. Of course you will see many other cars, because there are SO many other cars, but there is a year of Fox body mustangs that was decently light, and great for drag racing. If you are looking for something that will get a lot of looks, then you should get an older car, because people love to see an old car out driving around. Of course you can still build a muscle car in an old car. It all depends on what you want. If you just want something to start off with, and do not plan on keeping the car, and do not care do the Fox Bodies, then get it, fix it up, make a little profit by doing the work yourself, and spend the money on the car that you want. That does not mean rig the car together, because you do not want to buy someone else's junk either *not saying that you are that kind of person, but I know that other people read this as well* but if the fox body is what you do want, then fix it right the first time. The minor things you can go back and fix later, but it is always better to do it right the first time. If you cant afford to do it right the first time, when it breaks, how can you afford to do it the second time? I love cars, my dad and I fixed up my 68 stang and we fixed up the engine, and we do the work on it ourselves if we can, and I LOVE it. If you aren't into cars hot and heavy now, you will be, and it is a great adventure, and I wish you well. Any questions or comments you can e-mail me at mustngs68@yahoo.com
rooney is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
foxbody