What is the maximum and mininum price for a 1965 Ford Mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What is the maximum and mininum price for a 1965 Ford Mustang?

The car is in excellent condition. It has had three owners before me. The cars original color was metallic light blue. the second owner bought the car from a man who had let it sit and waste away. The second owner then went about buying all new parts for the the mustang. I knew the man very well and bought it from him for 3000 dollars. My uncle and I completely restored the car and gave it a purple paint job with two silver racing stripes down the hood. The car has its original 289 engine. It has a brand new two barrel carburetor, chrome high perfomance air cleaner, two barrel exhaust, A/C kit with heating and defrost. The car still has all of the original emblems and seats. The car is a beautiful car and i have spent a lot of time and money getting it back to its original splendor.
meinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

For a vehicle to be worth top dollar it must be in top condition with no aftermarket accessories, and the original paint color.
Contrary to what has already been posted there is no way your vehicle is worth the figure they posted. It is nice to dream of getting $25000 for something you bought for $3000, but it just ain't gonna happen.
Therein lies the problem. You paid too much when you purchased the vehicle. If the car was"wasted" away and needing a lot of work to bring it back to decent driveable condition then it was worth less than $1,000. If it still has original interior then the parts that came with it were not that much expense for the previous owner , so allow another grand. Making the maximum it was worth when you bought it $2000, and it should have sold for less than that.
What you have now is not a museum piece, but rather a nice daily driver.
It is nice to see classics being kept alive so that people can see wht cars used to be like. You bought it, you put your time and money into it, you painted it to suit your taste, you put on accessories you liked. Keep it, drive it and enjoy the daylights out of it.
Value now?? If you must sell it, start by asking $10,000, be prepared to come down. Be happy if you get somewhere between $5,000 to $8000.
I see Mustangs for sale all the time on the internet with asking price of that range.
If you are looking for a value to insure it, find a qualified appraiser to put a value on it for you. Then insure for 125% of that apppraised value.
Bear in mind a value for insurance is different than a value to sell it for.
Again- enjoy your classic and have fun.
cipriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

First things first, is it a coupe, Shelby, convertible, or Fastback?
I searched through some auctions + sellers, and found that 1965 mustangs began at $2000 USD for a car in really crummy shape. At the other side of the spectrum, a perfectly restored car with all brand new parts can go for as much as $35000 USD. As yours fits into the later catagory, I think you could get 25000-35000 for it.
lucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You didn't say what model it is, but if everythng works, everything is clean and sound, it sounds like a cool $20,000 to me. Could be more, 65 is a popular year, but i had to discount for purple .
darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

the best prices on these cars come from being a restore to strict mfg specs/your car is the buyers choice/if he likes your custom changes he will buy /no price available/check hemmings classics for more details
beshiltheeni is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion