Best choice for spark plug (ignition) wires? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Best choice for spark plug (ignition) wires?

I own a 2001 Ford Mustang, 3.8L V6. I need to change the spark plug wires and am in the market. I've noticed that the prices can range from $30 to $150, and would like to know if spending more money is actually worth it for the part. I know that going for cheap is probably not a good idea, but should I buy the $80 ones or the $140 ones? At what point would I not notice a difference? Feel free to recommend specific brands. Thanks!
Akiiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

The basic Bosch or Motorcraft plug wires are fine for your application. The el-cheapo wires won't cost you any power, they just won't last as long before you get misfire. Cheap wires may last a year, expensive wires may last 4 or 5 years. If you get a set of cheap wires with a lifetime warranty, you can get another set when they wear out for free. Just save the receipt.

Modified or race applications call for the expensive wires. When ignition output is increased by using a high-po coil, wire dielectric withstand voltage must be increased as well. This prevents the spark energy from arcing over to the engine block. Thats why some performance wires are 8 to 10mm in diameter- for higher voltages produced by high output coil. The actual power supplied to the plugs is controlled by the coil, not the wires. The resistance wire in sparkplug wires is used for EMI/RFI noise suppression. It doesn't affect power handling ability. In fact, MSD boxes state to NOT use with solid-core race wire. The RFI static messes with the MSD's little brain.
iddig17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

i say bosch is the best. I run them in my race car. Accel is very good also. Do not know how much you wanting to spend. With bosch or Accel you gonna pay for them though. Remember you get what you pay for.
arlen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I like Accel...... go with a thick MM like 10mm.... dont pay $150.... no wires are worth that much..... MSD are very good wires too.
ahiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The best bang for the buck is Magnecor. They are suppression wires, but they use inductance cable rather than carbon ribbon. Buy a set, they'll last the life of the car.
garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Motorcraft... does anything else fit better....

I run NGK, on my ricers....
stanhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Find out what materials the expensive ones are made out of. Then find the cheapest ones made with similar materials. Just make sure whatever you get has a high temperature rating.
Cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

With the electronic ignition of these days the spark plug and wires inductance ( resistance) value is critical. So I recommend that you get the dealer parts. A couple of times I has selected other brands and the engine ran very rough in both occasions.
nyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

JEGS
wakiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

unless you are into racing the $150 wires are a waste of money, just get the ones that come on it from the factory.
beshiltheeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

dealer ship, and just go with the oem, cant go wrong.
baldur84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion