Has anyone ever tried to fit a cutlass 68 engine into a classic mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Has anyone ever tried to fit a cutlass 68 engine into a classic mustang?

we have two cars that are classic, i bought a 66 mustang the other day, which doesn't have an engine, the other car a cutlass supreme has an engine which turns over but the body work is in poor shape, i was just wondering if anyones ever put a cutlass engine in a mustang. or if its even possible, I've been told that it is but id have to modify some parts. cheers and thank you
lucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Why would you screw up perfectly good mustang like that? It would destroy any value of the car.
kippar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Find a 289 in a junk yard you will be better off
roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Is it a big block or a small block? If it's a 455, good luck and start cutting the shock towers. If it's a 350 olds it still might not fit. I am not entirely sure but I think a 350 olds is a little bigger than a chevy 350. There is not alot of room between the shock towers in the Mustang. I had to cut away some metal in my 74 Comet just to fit in a 351 Windsor with headers. It would have fit with manifolds but there was no way I would run cast iron. There might be a tad more room in the Mustang than I had in the Comet but not much. The big question here is: Are you crazy? Get a small block Ford and dump in the thing and you will be on the road by the weekend. If it was a six cylinder car you will have to change the motor mount perches and install the proper throttle set up. That is the worst that will happen. Of course there is the little baby differential that will have to come out and you will need to install at least an 8" rearend. Just get one out of another V-8 Mustang from the wrecker or even one out of a Maverick or a Comet from the 70's will work. You will have to relocate the spring perches. Then of course if your car was a six to begin with with a 7.5 rearend it will have 4 lug hubs and if you change out the rearend to an 8 inch it will have 5 lug hubs then you will have 4 on the front and five on the rear. You might as well go ahead and install disc brakes on the front with 5 lug rotors and have it all done up right. On second thought, maybe you should just restore the Mustang to original and make it worth a few dollars. Keep the engine from the olds and put it in a Fiat or something.
jerad9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Doing this will make the 'Stang pretty much worthless. Don't do it. It will be expensive also, so you wont be saving any money.
cuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

For sure someones done it. People have been swapping engines since ther where cars. This will take a bit of wiggling though. My advice... do it and post pics on the internet I want to see this.
corren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:37 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

i think it would be a very good slap in the face to the ford fools out thier. got a vwelder enything will work i put a 454 in a 76 ford f150.
hulbard is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion