Ways to improve a mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Ways to improve a mustang?

I just bought a 05' Mustang, mainly for the gas mileage but also for its good looks. I will add to the look later on down the road but now, I want to get the maximum gas mileage out of it that I can to try to keep up with these prices. I know I need to get some 5w-30 synthetic oil, a cold air intake, dual exhaust and a throttle body spacer. I already have added a ram air hood. What other aftermarket parts can I add to increase the mileage? Thanks for your help,
Blake Fabian
ramzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

These products will make your mileage worse. The more air and gas you put through your engine the worse your mileage gets.
parnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Don't listen to Chaz. All of the modifications that you are talking about are a good start. I know that there are people who have seen goo results with changing the gears in the rear differential.
I would suggest more work on the exhaust including high flow cat and a set of free flowing headers. I put header, high flow cat, and catback exhaust on my car and I saw a gain of 17% fuel economy.
Also, check into a better intake manifold for the car.
Then number one thing you can do to get better mileage however is work on your driving habits. Don't floor it. Try to stay in the highest gear possible.
kang29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 12:30 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

With the exception of the syn lube, nothing you have done to your car will improve your average gas mileage. Freeing up the "flow" in your intake and exhaust may give you an increase in power, you may not be able to notice a difference. Everything you have done,so far
actually may decrease your mileage. Example...ram air hood will increase the drag on your 'stang at highway speeds..More drag will require you to go deeper into the throttle to maintain the same speed.

Experts recommend a computer tuner. The better ones have an economy tune as part of their offering. Also recommended are changes in your driving habits, keep your foot out of the throttle.(this is free)

I would be amazed at any car realizing a 17% increase in fuel mileage over stock.Modern computer controlled engines have been thoroughly engineered to provide an acceptable trade-off(balance) between power output , and fuel mileage.

I wonder?... If your MAIN concern in purchasing a car was fuel mileage, why did you choose a PERFORMANCE car?
curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Wait...you bought a Mustang...for gas mileage?

Ram Air hood won't get you anything. In fact, it will probably just trap air and increase your drag coefficient, thus decreasing your fuel economy. Switching to a thin oil isn't necessarily a good idea. Dual exhaust won't affect your gas mileage, and cold air intake has been known to decrease fuel economy in some cases. Throttle body spacer doesn't have an effect either. The best way to increase gas mileage is keep the rpm's low. Most of those money saving products are hoaxes, they just put up these huge web pages explaining why they "must" work and how they're "proven" - but trust me, it's a waste of money. Take the lead out of your feet and drive slow. That's all.
imported_archer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion