What car to restore out of these three? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What car to restore out of these three?

Hi,
I'm fourteen years old, and my dad agreed to help me restore a car to drive as my first. I have about $5000 to spend on this project, which needs to include the car and parts. I need help deciding what kind of car to restore. I am considering a 65 mustang ($1500) a '89 BMW 325i ($1200) or a mini mayfair from the eighties. The only reason I am considering the mini is because it will probably be the least expensive to restore. What are your thoughts? Could I even accomplish this?
imported_travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

The Mustang.
It will be MUCH cheaper and easier to restore than the other two. Every single part can be purchased new for the Mustang, it is one of the simplest cars ever built, it will run forever and will actually be worth something when you're done. The BMW is a horrible choice -- each replacement part will cost ten times that of the Ford and you will spend thousands of dollars and thousands of hours dealing with the finicky German. When you're done, you will have more invested in maintenance than it's worth.

www.thepaddock.com
www.mustangsunlimted.com
www.oboselteparts.com
bernardas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It all depends on the level of restoration you mean to accomplish. The BMW would be the most expensive, in my experience as parts for the BMW are the most expensive of any car I have worked on. The Mini I have no experience with. $3500 would probably get the Mustang driveable depending on it's current condition. If it needs an engine overhaul though that $3500 would disappear quickly. I just finished restoration of a '65 Mustang with my Grandson, last year. We spent over $20,000 onit and did all the work except the body and paint. Again, a lot depends on the starting condition and how deep into restoration you intend to go. We started with a car that hadn't been driven in 15 years (his fathers former car) and redid everything on the car.
Branwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

either the stang or the mini. how much work do they need? 5000$ for a restore basically 3500$ isn't much. but once again if it doesn't need much work it could be done but for that price i think the mini would be better. but this is going to be a long lasting project is it not? so in that case you could get the mustang and try and restore it for the money you got and say you get it running good but it needs paint and bodywork you can still drive it and get a job to pay for the rest of the work
deshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

im fourteen to my grandpa owns a tracter repair bissnes i help him i fix cars on the side of that the 65 mustang thants what id pick their nice strong and the chicks dig it you will like it when its fineshed have fun
imported_karsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:20 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

65 stang or the bimmer definetly not the mini
roch is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion