Should i buy an rx-8 or a mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2010, 03:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Should i buy an rx-8 or a mustang?

i have a budget of $15-16,000 and i want to buy a used manual transmission 2004-2005 mazda rx-8 or a used 2005 ford mustang.... i was going to buy the rx-8 already but lately i've been hearing bad things about it.... like engine failures and or replacements before or at 30,000 miles trouble passing emissions testing because of its rotary engine and recall of all 2004 models of the rx-8.... i just want to know how common these problems are with the rx-8 because there are a lot of pros to this car besides the horrible gas economy.... like the built in LSD and beautiful handling due to the perfect weight distribution because of the engine placement of the compact rotary engine....

now for the ford mustang... its very common in the US... parts are cheap seems reliable enough.... has hideous understeer through turns yet the sound of the engine is AMAZING....

so should i take a risk and buy an rx-8 or should i just play it safe and buy a mustang?
montrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 04:18 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Mazda just extended the power-train warranty on the Rx-8's out to 100K, I've heard that if you have a lemon engine you'll know before 30K, but once you finally get a good engine you should "beat on it" quoting a Mazda service manager. I own a 2006 Rx-8 GT Auto-transmission, and my only complaints are lack of immediate acceleration and poor mileage. I looked at a Mustang myself, but decided to own one of the most unique cars in existence, it is a blast to drive.
cheng-gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

doesn't matter to me, but whatever you buy, know this...

If you're going to buy a sporty car, drive it like a damn sportscar. I hate getting behind miss 17 year old in daddy's mustang going 45mph in a 55 because she's afraid it'll get scratched by the sunshine.

I drive my versa like a trans am, ******!
jeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 04:41 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I think I personally would feel safer with the Stang (american), but I would want the Rx-8 more (looks better)! but you gotta think of cons like repair costs, and things like that, I'd go for the stang if I HAD to choose from those two, but I'd say find something like a used sport compact that's american!
Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

definately buy the Mustang its so much better than the freaking rx8.
merla is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion