Mustang Evolution Forum banner

What is the easiest classic muscle/pony car to restore?

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  hartford 
#1 ·
I want to start my first restoration project, but I don't have a lot of experience or money. I think I can commit about $15-18K over the next few years to a car but I don't know what a smart choice would be. I love 68 fastback mustangs, 69 camaros, 68-70 challengers, novas, etc. Anything with a little muscle and style. Any recommendations on a good first project car?

I'm not looking to show this car and win awards. I don't have 50,000 to put into it. I just want to build something I can afford and feel proud of putting together. I don't know what cars are easiest to find parts for, or which cars are notorious for anything. Any help would be HUGE! Thanks all!

#3 ·
To add to the above answers: find a car that is well supported by aftermarket suppliers such as Year One. A vehicle with less luxury options will be easier. A friend of mine restored a '63 Continental convertible and there were almost 2 dozen electric motors between the seats, window and tops to deal with. Manual remote mirrors, crank windows, non-power door locks, etc. Also, research the project to see what newer safety equipment can be added, especially front wheel disc brakes! Hope this helps and good luck!

#4 ·
get the 68 fastback. first off its just a bad *** car, and will be well respected everywhere. even frank bullitt himself will love you. And if you havent seen the movie "bullitt" watch it, and then tell me you dont want that car. dont forget to paint it mcqueen green

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.