Cheap ways to add horsepower? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Cheap ways to add horsepower?

hey ive got about 500 bucks that i can spend towards my car. i have a 2003 mustang v6 coupe. i would like to add some new parts to give it some more speed. can someone give me some help ways to help boost my horsepower with not spending too much money.
luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 01:09 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

best cheap mods to do are buy a cold air intake$200-$300, Under-drive pulleys are a great bang for the buck as you can find them for $100-$150 and the add around 8-12hp and help the engine rev quicker.while no adding much Hp I love to put on a good set of performance ignition wires like MSD or Accel$50-$100. Gears for the price will make the most notable difference in your car but will prolly cost around $400 for the gears and install alone, Id go with 3.73's. A good flowing exhaust is a must to improve horsepower. You could go all out and buy a new exhaust $350+or you could snatch up a used dual exhaust from a Gt $125+ve them weld it on, not as good as an aftermarket dual exhaust but it is cheap and will help alot compared to the V6 y pipe single exhaust. A tuner will also help by tuning your Cpu to a premium tune which adds timing and spark advance, giving you some good horses.
montrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

1) Pod filter instead of the standard airbox with panel filter, this will allow your car to suck more air ito the cylinders. Be careful when buying air filters as you want to go high quality, K&N are a very reputable air filter brand, and all the well known car mod brands also, HKS, Greddy etc.

2) Make or buy a cold air box to seperate the hot air in your engine bay from the air sucked into your engine. This will make the air colder and more dense meaning more air can fit into the cylinders.

3) Octane booster in the fuel will only give you a short term hp boost with one tank of gas, basically making your fuel more reactive

4) save the money till you can do somthing bigger but more effective eg slapping a nice big turbo onto it, that will make it much moe power .

Just a few ieas.
talmadge80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 02:51 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You can also buy a gear for your rear end. This is only more fun if you have a manual, but even in an automatic it'll pull a WHOLE lot harder than what it seems like stock. The only thing about this is that most people have to have a shop install it, but I recommend finding a friend that would know how to do it and just paying him and helping him do it so you know for in the future. Gears, to me, are the best mod you can buy for a stock mustang. They don't add any more horsepower or anything, but it'll make your car "feel" faster. If you do a lot of highway driving get 3.73 gears, if not get 4.10's (you'll really tell a difference with 4.10's). Hope this helps man.
montrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:49 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...bout-mods.html
talmadge80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Here is an old hot rodding addage. "there is no replacement for displacement"
jaye is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion