Need some from auto professionals. Hit a curb and cannot drive straight now anymore.? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Need some from auto professionals. Hit a curb and cannot drive straight now anymore.?

After I hit the curb, the car is pulling to the right pretty hard.
I went to five different shops for some estimates and they were telling me different things.
Firestone told me that I need to replace two struts 'caz the right passenger side wheel shake/vibrate when jacked the car up. $130 Parts + $180 labor
Pepboys told me that I need to replace a steering knuckle. $120 Parts + $160 labor.
Sears Auto told me I need to replace an inner tie rod just on the passenger side. $40 parts + $120 labor.
An independent alignment shop told me to have the front crossmember bar take off and put it on again. $130 labor.
Ford Dealer had done a "smart" job by telling me to replace inner and outer tie rod, hub assembly, struts, and lower control arm; pull sub frame forward, etc. (Basically they wanted me to replace everything on the passenger side) $600 parts + $1200 labor.
Who should I listen to now? I am totally confused. I know the Ford dealer would probably repair it, but they wanted to charge me $1800+. I am just a poor college student who's having trouble to pay off the tuition already. sigh.....
If I turn my steering wheel all the way to the left side, I can hear the metal crank noisy even thought I hit the curb on the passenger side.
Any suggestions?
Btw, I did have an alignment performed after hitting the curb, but the car is still pulling to the right though not as much as it was b4 the alignment, and then I did have the guy at bear to shift the main crossmember for me. Again, the alignment improved again, but my car still pulls to the right slightly.
P.S. I just realized that my front passenger side tire is displaced towards the rear - at least it looks that way from the fact that it is at least 1 inches closer to the rear (the mud flap) than the left wheel.
If I must have something replaced, which one should I go first? Inner/Outer tie rod? Struts? Control Arm?

My car is a 2003 Mustang V6 - RWD.
currito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Need some from auto professionals. Hit a curb and cannot drive straight now anymore.?

The ford dealership is probably the closest, the sub-frame has probably shifted, after a smack like that the tie rod parts could have been bent or internally damaged inside the joint, either way you don't want to chance it, if the strut isn't obviously bent then that is the least of you worries. it would be hard to bend the knuckle but not out of the question. The short of it is, if you cant identify the damaged parts you will have to take someones word about it. Dealerships are nearly always the most expensive, so i would probably look for a competent shop that has a similar view about the extent of the damage, it sounds like the other places didn't know or take the time to evaluate the whole picture.
birkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Turn your accident into your insurance company,that's why you pay premium's. See what their adjusters might say,you could get a cheaper repair rate. Good Luck.
camdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

this same exact thing happened to me...i went to a local auto shop and he told me i did many thing..
i got the alingment and 2 new tires.
then i got a new spindle along with the steering knuckle and i got 2 new strucks..
you can cause alot of problems hittin g that curb
ive learned on my own
sowingwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion