Anyone know about 66 Mustangs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone know about 66 Mustangs?

I just found a 66 mustang for a really good price, I've always wanted a Mustang but i don't know a lot about cars..It seems to be in good condition but i don't know what to look for since i've never had a car before. I've done some research on the 66 Stangs but hav'nt had much luck finding what i want. So here are my questions- What are some things that i can look for quality wise?, what are some questions to ask the owner?, what are some parts that usually need replacement and whats the average restoration cost, i dont want it to be in showroom condition but i do want it to look nice, run well, and sound great
sydeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If at all possible, I highly recommend that you bring a person with you who is experienced and knowledgeable about these early Mustangs. It would even be better if you could get some one to look at it on a lift.
Rust would be my first concern - floorboards, frame rails and so fourth.
The best advantage of the early Mustangs is the abundance of parts suppliers - you can buy anything from entire floor pans to complete drive lines from a variety of sources.
Devyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Look the car over from top to bottom.My ex had a 67.It would rust in the panels( No big deal) Her father would have it restored every couple of years.It's not a hard car to keep up.The parts aren't too hard to find.I restored a 64 rambler.Compared to that,the mustang is easy to work on.
adir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Rust is a big problem. look at the frame, floor pans, quater pannels, in the trunk area, under hood by the shocks. walk away if lots of rust. Very expensive to fix. 6 or v8. 6 cly. not worth as much. I have a '68 that was rusted pretty bad I've got about 10,000 in fixing just the body. You have to love it. look for bubbles in the paint. thats rust under the paint. Ask what he has done to it over the years. If it hasn't been started in a while. will the moter turn over. if not your going to have to fix that. What parts are missing if any. some parts are cheap. Oters like the headlight filler panels are not. good luck
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

A really good price would be $1500-$2000. People restore them and ask for ten times that.

Make sure the drivetrain is is good shape. Parts are still not hard to get for this very popular Ford.

Look at the light reflecting on the body- it should look smooth and not wavy. Check the body with a magnet. It will lose its grip where the car has been bondo-d because of dents or rust.

Have it looked at by a mechanic, and drive it on the street and on the freeway. The rattles shouldn't be louder than the radio. You should be able to go straight without a lot of correcting and it shouldn't pull one way or the other when you brake.

It was a cheap, sporty car in 1966- not meant to last very long, but be fun to ride in while burning 32 cents per gallon gas- leaded gas. You can't get leaded gas for this legally.
Kilian is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion