Need some opinions; Custom X pipe Mac Headers. 99 Mustang v6 3.8L? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Need some opinions; Custom X pipe Mac Headers. 99 Mustang v6 3.8L?

Found a guy whose willing to sell his new Mac Longtube Headers, and a custom X pipe for pretty good price, about 350$, i could probably haggle him a little to make it lower,(ive shopped around). I haven't bought exhaust parts before and i wanted to know what you guys thought.

http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img00027h.jpg

Would these fit on my stock catalytic converters? Would i have to buy them? (if i chose not to purchase new ones) Think it'd be worth it for me to buy the x pipe and headers? Would i have to have sombody do weilding? I'm planning on getting Flowmaster 40's later on when i save enough $$ but i don't know if i should skip off on this deal.

and i do know that its already a sweet deal on new mac longtubes but the seller wants to make it a package deal.
Thanksss.
akins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Need some opinions; Custom X pipe Mac Headers. 99 Mustang v6 3.8L?

Since they're LTs you need a special shorty midpipe with cats if you want to keep the converters. The converters attached to your factory midpipe won't work. You could always cut off the stockers and have them welded to the new pipes but I wouldn't recommend it. I suggest buying some aftermarket high-flow cats and getting those welded in to the new midpipe. Or, see if you can find a catted midpipe for LTs for a V6. That may be more money but it will be a cleaner install. If you are worried about emissions testing you can find a catted midpipe and swap the X out fro emissions and then swap the off road X back on. If you don't have to worry about emissions, I would by the whole package deal and be done with it.

One more thing to think about. See if the custom X pipe will work on V8 cars. If that's the case you might be able to sell it to offset the cost of buying a catted shorty midpipe for your longtubes.
Matchitehew is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion